Transfer Bridge Program Description
To help you get your academic career off to the best start, we have designed a Transfer Bridge Program just for you.
This program will allow you to take a college course for free, while helping you to get ahead in your academic course work.
ABOUT TRANSFER BRIDGE
Transfer Bridge Program is a collaboration between the Educational opportunity Program (EOP) and the DEGREES Project. In 2014, Transfer Bridge was instituted at Sacramento State. Transfer Bridge Academy is a free intensive 6 week summer academic program designed to assist transfer students make a smooth transition from community college to Sacramento State. This program is OPTIONAL for incoming transfer students who come from underrepresented backgrounds. The program serves approximately 50 students. The program focuses on academic, social and personal development. The main mission is to enrich the students’ transitional experience.
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)
Participants are placed in academic courses based on their Writing Placement for Juniors (WPJ). Students who did not wish to take the exam or score below an 80 on the WPJ can complete the ENGL 109W during the summer. Students who score an 80 or above on the WPJ are eligible to take the writing intensive course ETHN 100. Students can take up two 2 courses: ETHN 100 and ENGL 109x or ENGL 109W.
For more information about the GWAR requirement visit the website. To register for the WPJ go to: http://www.csus.edu/testing/tests/wpj-reg.html
The program will begin on June 30th and end on August 6th. The program will include an opening reception at 12:30 pm on June 30th to acquaint you with our staff and a celebration of your accomplishments at the end of Transfer Bridge to be held in August.
The Transfer Bridge Program has many potential benefits which include the following:
- The courses in the program are free
- The program helps you get ahead to make progress on your degree completion goals
- Gain the opportunity to make new friends
- Build your writing skills
- Earn general education credit
- Complete your writing intensive requirement prior to enrollment in the Fall if you have secured a passing score on the April 4th WPJ examination
- Goal 1: The Transfer Bridge Program will promote timely graduation by enrolling students in appropriate course(s) based on their WPJ scores.
- Goal 2: The Transfer Bridge Program will facilitate students’ commitment and connection to Sacramento State through meaningful interactions with students, instructors and staff.
- Goal 3: Transfer Bridge Students will be effectively utilize academic and counseling support offered through EOP, identify the graduation requirements and resources at the Sacramento State campus.
While the program is completely free, housing is not provided. To participate in Transfer Bridge you will need to live locally or make arrangements on your own for housing.
Please note that on-campus accommodations are not available for incoming transfer students during the 6 week program.
The Sacramento State Housing and Residential Life program provides off-campus housing information thorough its Off Campus Housing Services. For information about off campus rental listings, please visit Sac State Housing page.
Sacramento State, the EOP and DEGRESS Transfer Bridge, and the EOP or DEGREES staff assume no responsibility for contracts/leases between individuals, nor are they responsible or liable for the consequences of any off-campus student housing arrangement.
If you should have any additional questions about the Transfer Bridge Program, please contact (916) 278-6183. We look forward to welcoming you to our summer program!