Sigma Phi Omega, Gamma Chi Chapter
The Sacramento State Gerontology Program is a member of the only national honor and professional society in gerontology, Sigma Phi Omega. Since 1980, the Sigma Phi Omega National Honor and Professional Society has recognized the excellence of those who study gerontology/aging, as well as professionals in the field of aging service. The purpose of the program’s Gamma Chi chapter is to promote scholarship, professionalism, friendship and services to older persons, and to recognize extraordinary achievements in gerontology, aging studies, and related fields. Eligible Sacramento State and American River College students will be invited to membership each year shortly before our Annual Induction Ceremony in the Spring. Interested community members should contact our office.
Sacramento State Student Requirements: Undergraduate students must be seniors with a CSUS GPA of 3.3 or higher. Graduate students must have completed at least 6 units of graduate level Gerontology courses, and must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher in their Gerontology coursework.
American River College Student Requirements: Students must have completed at least 20 units and have a 3.5 or higher in the Gerontology program.
Membership Fees: $25.00 initial fee for students. $40.00 for community members. Renewable annually.
Privileges of Membership in Sigma Phi Omega include:
- Acknowledgement of your academic and professional excellence.
- Opportunities to meet, network and socialize with others in the aging field.
- Gain professional support in your career.
- Apply for certain scholarships.
- Invitation to attend local and national conferences, lectures and special events.
- Receive a subscription to the national newsletter.
- Receive a certificate and lapel pin.
- Buy special graduation attire.
Gamma Chi Chapter Members Current listing as of Spring 2014.
We want to stay in touch with you! Please fill out our online Gerontology Program Alumni/SPO member contact form.
Need to renew your Membership? Complete the renewal form.
Want to order graduation regalia? Here is the order form.