Gifts of stock, real estate and other non-cash payments


Kevin J. Gonzalez, Ed.D.
Director of Major and Planned Gifts
(916) 278-3852

Lisa Woodard-Mink, CSPG
Director of Planned Giving

(916) 278-3852

Gifts to the University can be in various forms: cash, securities, real estate, wills and trusts or gifts-in-kind. Because each type of payment carries its own tax benefits and/or consequences, you should consult with your financial advisor to discuss your individual situation as part of the gift-giving process.

Giving stocks, mutual funds or bonds to Sacramento State enables many people to give a larger gift than they may have thought possible. You typically receive a deduction for the value of your stock and you avoid the capital-gains taxes that would have been due had you sold it. To make a gift of securities, contact the Office of Planned Giving at (916) 278-6989.

Real Estate
You can make a substantial gift to Sacramento State through a transfer of residential, commercial or undeveloped real estate. Gifts of real estate secure a charitable income tax deduction for you based on the fair market value of the property with no capital gains liability for the transfer of property. To make a gift of real estate to Sacramento State, contact the Office of Planned Giving at (916) 278-6989.

Gifts in Kind
Sacramento State may accept gifts-in-kind (such as equipment, furniture, paintings, books, antiques, sculptures, etc.) that provide educational value or otherwise serve the University’s purposes. To discuss guidelines for in-kind gift guidelines, contact the Office of University Development at (916) 278-6989.

Wills and Trusts
A bequest is a gift that comes to the University after your lifetime. With a bequest, you have the flexibility to plan a future gift to Sacramento State by stipulating a specific dollar amount, a specific percentage of your estate or the remainder thereof, be used for either general or specific purposes, while retaining control of the property or assets during your lifetime. To help you through the process of including philanthropy in your estate planning, call the Office of Planned Giving at (916) 278-6989.