Degree: Bachelor of Science
Minimum total units for BS: 120
Note: Additional units may be required to meet the Sacramento State foreign language requirement.
Kinesiology is an academic area of study concerned with the art and science of human movement. The Department offers a Bachelor of Science degree with two concentrations of study (Physical Education and Exercise Science), a Master of Science with two concentrations of study (Exercise Science and Movement Studies), and a Personal Trainer/Strength and Conditioning Certificate. Completion of the Physical Education Blended Credential Option qualifies students for entry into the Single Subject Credential Student Teaching Phase. An Adapted Physical Education Specialist Credential, a Personal Trainer/Strength and Conditioning Certificate program, and two Minor programs (Coaching and Supplementary Authorization in Physical Education) are also available.
- The Kinesiology facilities include state of the art high tech laboratories for motor learning, biomechanics, exercise physiology, sport performance, and physical therapy/therapeutic exercise and rehabilitation.
- Several activity spaces are available, including dance, weight training, and gymnastics rooms. Outside facilities include a lap pool, racquetball and tennis courts, jogging trails, sports fields, putting green, driving range, and aquatic center.
- Kinesiology majors at Sacramento State have opportunities for unique experiences at the undergraduate level. In the Physical Education Concentration, students observe and teach children in both on and off campus field sites.
- Exercise Science students gain useful experience through their internships at various on and off campus locations.
- Students interested in Physical Therapy build a valuable background of experience in community hospitals and rehabilitation centers.
- At the graduate level, students engage in a variety of research projects, both on and off campus in the areas of Exercise Science and Movement Studies.
Note: Students interested in majoring or minoring in Kinesiology are encouraged to go to the Department of Kinesiology and Health Science Office for an assignment to a faculty advisor.