Master of Science in Nursing
School Nurse Credential & Master's Option
Click on "School Nurse" link below for instructions to apply to School Nurse (SN) track. There is a separate application, different deadlines, and different process! Do not apply through CSU Mentor until you receive special instructions from SN admissions.
Advanced Clinical/Educator Role
To be eligible to apply to the Advanced Clinical/Educator role track you must have the following:
- A bachelor's degree in nursing or a related field.
- An active California RN license.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 based on the last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of graded transferable course work.
- An introductory nursing research class.
- Accredited program preferred.
- Work experience as an RN is preferred.
- Eligibility for certification as a Public Health Nurse in California.
- Mandatory Purpose Statement outlining your goals and objectives of graduate study (include your RN license number and Purpose Statement in "Purpose Statement" section of CSU Mentor application).
- Read the Office of Graduate Studies, "How to Apply" procedures--all links under General Information, http://www.csus.edu/gradstudies/FutureStudents/GraduateAdmissions/index.html.
- Complete a Graduate Application online through CSU Mentor, http://www.csus.edu/gradstudies/FutureStudents/GraduateAdmissions/index.html.
- Under Major/Program Objective, select "MS Nursing - Main Campus." If you are applying for the CCE School Nurse program, please read important instructions at the top of the page.
- Under Degree Objective, select "MS."
- Pay CSU Mentor application per instructions provided on CSU Mentor website. Your application will not be processed until the fee is paid.
- Mail two sets of sealed, official transcripts for all colleges and universities attended, other than Sacramento State, to California State University Sacramento, Office of Graduate Studies, 6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6112. The Graduate Admissions Office will not process your application until they receive sealed, official transcripts.
- No references or letters of recommendation are required; leave this section blank when applying through CSU Mentor.
- GRE scores are no longer required.
- The School of Nursing does not require a supplemental application or any supplemental documentation for the Advance Clinical/Educator role track.
- Applications are accepted once a year for the fall semester.
- The Office of Graduate Studies operates under a completion deadline process. Your file must be complete by the closing date – all transcripts, test scores, and documents must be received by both the Office of Graduate Studies by the close of business on the final application filing date.
- Notice of the admission decision will be delivered electronically after the applicant file is complete and applications have been reviewed.
- Students are assigned a faculty advisor after admission based on their selected course of study.
|Anyone interested in:||Advisor|
|Anyone interested in pursuing a post-master's, Nurse Practitioner Certification||Dr. Kitty Kellyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Anyone interested in going into Nursing Education||Dr. Ann Stoltzemail@example.com|
|All School Nurses pursuing a Master's degree||Dr. Dian Bakerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|All other Advanced Clinical Role students||Dr. Kitty Kellyemail@example.com|
To be successful in the curriculum, students must be proficient in computer technology, such as word processing, use of the Internet, e-mail, and database searches. Technical assistance is available through the Information Resources Technology (IRT) Service Desk. The majority of the courses are delivered in an on-line/hybrid format using iMeet elearning technology. An iMeet tutorial is available at www.csus.edu/atcs/tools/imeet/handouts-tutorials.stm#participants.
Pre-Entry and Pre-Clinical Requirements
All students admitted to the master’s program are required to complete a drug/alcohol test and background check prior to starting classes their first semester. All students enrolled in practicum courses must provide clinical clearance documents required by the health care agencies. Admitted students will receive an e-mail notification directing the submission of the required documents.