About the Program
The Discovery Major!
• Bachelor of Science
• Master of Science
The Bachelor of Science degree has two concentrations:Recreation and Park Management (Commercial Recreation, Tourism and Hospitality Management, Community Recreation Management, and Park and Recreation Resource Management), and Recreation Therapy. Please visit the Undergraduate Program page for more information.
The Master of Science degree is a challenging program that can be adapted for students planning to continue on to a Ph.D. or for working professionals. Please visit the Graduate Program page for more information.
Minor in RPTA
The Minor in RPTA can be personalized to function well with several degree programs.
Voices of RPTA
Recreation Majors Association
At Sacramento State, we're proud to be the oldest nationally accredited program of Recreation Administration in the CSU System. The RPTA Department offers several GE courses for non-majors, as well as two distinct undergraduate degree concentrations and a graduate degree that is flexible to student needs and interests. The Minor in RPTA can be personalized to function well with several degree programs, including Business Administration, Political Science, Communications, Education or Environmental Studies. The fully accredited program in Recreation Administration provides students with an exciting, broad-based curriculum that includes both stimulating in-class coursework and practical out-of-class field experience. Job opportunities, ranging from hotel managers to program coordinators to park rangers, are numerous both in and out of the Greater Sacramento Area.
Just a few of the career possibilities include:
- Recreation Therapy specialist in hospital or clinical settings
- Recreation coordinator in resort settings
- Ranger for National Park Service
- Hotel general manager
- Outdoor education teacher
- Summer camp director
- Recreation planner for children, youths, adults or seniors
- Director for after-school recreation programs
- Convention and meeting planner
- City or county park district manager
- Recreation planner for seniors in assisted-living centers
- Tourism planner
- Recreation planner for adults and children with disabilities
Great news for students!
- #8 Recreational Therapist
Follow us on Twitter! (http://twitter.com/RPTA_SacState)
To learn more about accreditation and national certifications (CTRS and CPRP), please click on the "accreditation" link on the left.