Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School of Social Work Program
The Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Social Work program (PPSC in SSW program) is offered through the College of Continuing Education (CCE) at Sacramento State in conjunction with the Division of Social Work. For more information on the PPSC in SSW program please review the information on the CCE website
CCE offers the two required courses (3 units each) in the summer only. Each course meets in Napa Hall from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on five consecutive Saturdays. Classes will meet on the following dates for summer 2014:
- SWRK 238A – Issues & Practice in Schools: May 31, June 7, June 14, June 21, June 28
- SWRK 238B – Issues & Practice in Schools: July 26, August 2, August 9, August 16, August 23
$425 per unit (price is subject to change)
Current Master in Social Work Students
Current Master in Social Work (MSW) students interested in earning the PPSC must successfully complete the degree requirements for the MSW and the PPSC in SSW program concurrently. This includes Advanced Standing student applicants to the MSW degree program.
The MSW degree program at Sacramento State is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and the PPSC in SSW program is fully accredited under the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, therefore, are subject to the rights and responsibilities of programs so accredited.
MSW students and Advanced Standing applicants to the PPSC in SSW program must successfully complete all of the following requirements in order to be approved as eligible to apply for the PPSC in SSW program certification.
PPSC in SSW Program Requirements
- SWRK 238A – Issues & Practice in Schools
- SWRK 238B – Issues & Practice in Schools
- SWRK 295C – Field Instruction for MSW and Advanced Standing MSW students
- SWRK 295D – Field Instruction for MSW and Advanced Standing MSW students
- California Basic Education Services Test (CBEST)
- Certificate of Clearance – Criminal Background Check (required prior to beginning PPSC in SSW program field instruction)
The field placement must meet the following requirements:
- Must be completed as a MSW II student or post-master’s student. We will not accept hours from a MSW I field placement.
- Must be at a school site supervised by a qualified person holding a PPS certification in school social work in CA.
- Must take place with at least two age groups (preschool, elementary school, middle school or high school) with a minimum of 100 clock hours at the secondary site. Students must also complete a minimum of 100 hours with at least 10 pupils of an ethnic background different from that of the student.
All current MSW I students interested in the PPSC in SSW program must:
- Complete the Declaration of Intent for Current Master in Social Work Students Form.
- Write a Personal Statement of Interest.
- Contact Dr. Dale Russell, MSW Coordinator, to schedule an advising appointment at (916) 278-7170 or email@example.com by March 14, 2014. Please email form and personal statement to Dr. Russell.
Once you have been approved to participate in the PPSC in SSW program, you will receive an email from Candice Palaspas, program coordinator at CCE, with further information including registration.
All current MSW II students who will be graduating in May 2014 and are interested in the PPSC in SSW program must complete the post-Master in Social Work PPSC application. For more information, please see below.
Post-Master in Social Work Students
Social work professionals with a Master’s in Social Work (MSW) degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited school who are looking to work in the school system as a school social worker may apply for the PPSC in SSW program. Transcripts must reflect coursework in social work practice with diverse populations. For more information on the application process, fieldwork requirements, and credential requirements, please visit www.cce.csus.edu/ppsc.