Philosophy Department Graduation Checklist
After you have completed 90 Units, be sure to do the following:
1. Be sure that you have declared Philosophy as your major. The Change of Major form is available in the Forms tab above.
2. Go to the Academic Advising Center in LSN 1012 to be absolutely sure that your General Education requirements are met and that you have met the minimum requirements for upper-divsion course work. Do not rely on department faculty for this information.
3. Be sure you understand your catalog rights.This is especially important because the degree requirements in Philosophy have changed significantly over the last several years. Discuss your options with an advisor at the Academic Advising Center after reading about them here. (Scroll down to Catalog Rights.) Your Faculty Advisor can help you determine which of the available years makes most sense for you with respect to the major, but it is up to you accruately to determine in consulation with the Advising Center which years are actually available to you.
4. Meet with your departmental academic advisor to see if you are meeting the requirements for your major in the appropriate catalog year.
5. If you are claiming graduation rights prior to 2011 and are not taking Philosophy 189, then be sure to submit your Senior Essay no later than the end of the 2nd week of the semester in which you are graduating. Do not submit a hardcopy; instead, submit your essay by e-mail only to Professor Mayes. His e-mail address is email@example.com. You may choose any paper you have written for a philosophy course at CSU Sacramento, or a revision of such a paper, as long as you regard it as a representative sample of your best work. Your essay will be evaluated for departmental assessment purposes only. You must submit this essay in order to graduate, but the result of the evaluation will in no way affect your transcript or graduation status.
6. Prepare and submit your online graduation application, available as a dropdown option in your student center. For instructions and FAQs, go here <http://www.csus.edu/registrar/Graduation/graduate_online.html>.
For Spring graduation, applications must be completed and approved by the prior Oct 1st graduation; for Fall graduation applications must be completed and approved by the prior Feb 1st. Late applications entail surcharges.... So don’t be late!
Your advisor will be notified when your application is awaiting review and approval. Check your status frequently, in case your advisor has left comments or has requested additional advising.
Note: Any courses (transfer or otherwise) which are proposed to be used to complete major/minor requirements MUST have been approved by your advisor and the department chair. This approval requires the completion of a Major/Minor Substitution Form (available in University Forms tab, above).
7. Clear any holds on your records (e.g., holds due to library fines, parking, registration, and lab fees).
8. (Optional) Talk to the Testing Center (Lassen Hall, second floor) regarding graduate school exams: GRE, GMAT, and MCAT. Talk to career advisors in the Career Center (Lassen Hall, second floor) to get information about internships, job fairs, and workshops on resumes and interviewing.
The Semester of Graduation...
1. For all majors: Enroll in and complete Philosophy 189.
2. Check MySacState for any holds that would prevent confirmation of degree and diploma.
3. Make sure Admissions and Records has an accurate address on file to mail your diploma. The Post Office does not forward diplomas. Diplomas are mailed within two months after your final term ends.
If you are participating in the Graduation Ceremonies…
1. Sign up with the Dean's Office of the College of Arts and Letters (Mariposa 5000) to let them know you will be attending the ceremony and the number of guests you plan to invite. Provide this information to the Philosophy Department (Mendocino 3032) as well.
2. Contact the commencement office (278-4724) to make arrangements for special seating or accommodations for guests with disabilities.
3. Purchase cap and gown from ASI Business Office (third floor, University Union).
4. Announcements and information about the ceremonies are available on the CSUS web page, on posters at Arts and Letters Departmental offices, and from the College of Arts and Letters.
5. (Other Optional items) Class ring and announcements can be purchased at the bookstore. Register with the Career Center to participate in on-campus interviews. Visit the Alumni Center for services and programs available to CSUS graduates.
Department of Philosophy | California State University, Sacramento | Mendocino Hall 3000 | 6000 J Street | Sacramento, CA 95819-6033 | (916) 278-6424