Public Policy and Administration
- Fall 2016 application opens October 1!
- Prospective Student listserv.
- How applicants stack up
- Our downloadable brochure!
- PPA Thesis Bank
- Department Assessment Reports
25th Anniversary CelebrationDon't let the celebration end! Donate today. Facebook
PPA in the Community
- Tami Cowgill (MPPA student) started working this summer as a Policy Analyst with CalPACE (California Program for All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly). "Much of my job is reviewing and analyzing bills associated with long-term services and support, Medicare and Medicaid, and much more, for the aging population." Congratulations, Tami!
- Rob Wassmer, Professor of Public Policy and Administration at Sac State, was the invited moderator of a Forum on the Sacramento $12.50 Minimum Wage Proposal sponsored by Power Inn Business Alliance, and held at Depot Park in Sacramento on 9/11/2015 at 8 am. Background slides are attached.
- PPA professor, Rob Wassmer, will talk before the San Francisco Jewish Community Relations Policy Council September 8, 2015 on California State and Local Tax Reform. You can see the outline of his talk here.
- Alumnus Cosmo Garvin (MPPA 2014) has taken a position with the State Water Resources Control Board. He joins PPA alumna Angela Marin (MPPA 2013) as a Legislative Analyst; alumnus Charles Delgado (MPPA 2008) is Assistant Director for Legislation.
- Lucinda Winward (MPPA 2006) recently accepted a position as a Special Consultant to the California Department of Social Services. Here she provides executive managerial advice to the largest divisions on best methods for integration and update of the department's extensive technology infrastructure.
See more at our PPA in the Community page.
@PPASacStateTweets by @PPASacState
The Master of Public Policy and Administration is an exciting professional degree opportunity for students interested in a public service career. The program draws together the diverse perspectives, technologies and skills now essential to a successful career in public management or in one of the many fields within the public policy arena. Unlike programs with a more limited focus, ours provides skills necessary for management and budgeting, as well as analytical tools helpful for understanding the economic implications of policy choices, evaluating policy options, developing political strategies for advancing proposals, and conducting/assessing research projects. Additionally, consideration of ethics and the public good is infused throughout the curriculum. Our graduate programs can be found at the University's on-line catalog.
The Department also offers:
- Master of Science in Urban Land Development
- Special Master's Program in PPA and Gerontology
- Certificate in Collaborative Governance
- Through CCE: Certificate in Judicial Administration
- Independent Education Doctorate in partnership with the College of Education.
PPA Pizza Picnic 2015
Thank you to all who joined us in welcoming our new gradaute students to the PPA and ULD programs!
We had a great turnout and have posted pictures on Facebook.
PPA is thrilled that we are designated as the recipient. Many details are yet to be worked out but we are honored by this recognition. An endowed Chair means a faculty position (not necessarily the Department Chair) that is partially to fully funded by a donor.
From the campus press release:
Dean Orn Bodvarsson later stated, "...this is a very, very significant gift, which is a great honor for your department, our College, and the University. This gift to fund an endowed chair is the first of its kind at Sac State and these endowed chairs are very rare in the CSU system. We have been entrusted not only with a sizeable, but a precious gift."
It is available at at Corwin Publications.
Our celebration event was a resounding success!
Pictured above are some of our amazing students. See more photos on Facebook.