Impaction and Applying to the Psychology Major
The Chancellor's Office of the California State University has granted the Psychology Department impaction status for its undergraduate major program. Students applying to the major are required to submit a supplemental application. New applicants, including transfer students, must be admitted to the University prior to applying to the major.
To apply to the undergraduate psychology major, you must meet all of the following supplemental admission criteria:
- New and returning students must meet the CSU admission requirements and must be in good academic standing.
- Students must have completed PSYC 2 (Introductory Psychology; 3 semester units), or its articulated equivalents, with a grade of “C” or higher within 2 attempts. Courses in progress at the time the supplemental application is submitted are not accepted.
- Students must have completed at least 30 semester units.
- Students must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.3 in all college level courses.
Admission of majors to the Psychology program will be based on a rank ordering of eligible applicants according to their overall GPA. Applicants will be accepted for available spaces up to the departmental capacity. The GPA cut-off for Fall 2014 admission to the major was 3.0.
For more information or questions about the application process, please contact: email@example.com. Additional information for students who have "expressed interest" in a Psychology Major, please refer to the orientation slides here.
For Applicants pursuing a Transfer Associate of Arts (AA-T) or Associate of Science (AS-T) Degree in Psychology:
- For the AA-T or AS-T to be considered in the Sacramento State admission decision, the applicant must be pursuing the approved AA-T or AS-T in Psychology at the time of application and must be on-track for completing the approved program prior to Fall 2013.
- If the above is met, the AA-T or AS-T degree curriculum is used in lieu of the Psychology major specific courses
- If you are pursuing a AA-T or AS-T in Psychology, submit a copy of the completed degree evaluation (Verification of Intent to Earn AA-T or AS-T) document from your California Community College. The document must be mailed to Sacramento State Admissions Office, Lassen Hall 1100, 6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6048.
IMPACTION AND APPLYING TO THE PSYCHOLOGY MAJOR: The Chancellor's Office of the California State University has granted the Psychology Department impaction status for its undergraduate major program. Students applying to the major are required to submit a supplemental application. New applicants, including transfer students, must be admitted to the University prior to applying to the major. For more information on impaction and the AA-T/AS-T transfer degree, please see Program Impaction.
The Supplemental Application period for Spring 2015 is now closed. The Supplemental Application period for Fall 2015 will be available during the Spring 2015 semester. To access the Supplemental Application for Fall 2015, a link will be posted here when it is available. Please check back for availability dates in February 2015
Psychology Department impaction information sessions will be held on the following dates and times:
- November 13, 2014 from 5:30pm – 6:30pm in AMD 261
- November 14, 2014 from 1:30pm – 2:30pm in AMD 261
- November 18, 2014 from 5:30pm – 6:30pm in BRH 105
Topics of discussion will be:
- Psychology Major and its requirements.
- What program impaction is and how it affects the major.
- Application process.
- Alternate options to consider.
- Information about resources available on campus to help you make a decision.
All Psychology Expressed Interest students are strongly encouraged to attend one session.
California State University, Sacramento | 6000 J Street | Sacramento, CA 95819 | (916) 278-6011
If you have difficulty accessing content on this page, please contact us.