TRIO Student Support Services Program
Services to Students with Disabilities at California State University, Sacramento has been awarded funding since 1976 under the TRIO Student Support Services Program (SSSP) for Students with Disabilities from the U.S. Department of Education. SSWD was just awarded its latest five year TRIO SSS grant for 2010-2015.
SSSP is an integral part and a critical program component of SSWD for the retention and graduation of students with disabilities, including students with disabilities from low income backgrounds. SSSP provides critical academic support services and instruction to program participants in the following areas:
- Provision of supplemental and remedial instruction and tutoring in mathematics, English writing, along with other basic academic skills, to enhance academic success.
- Coordination of the provision of academic tutors, readers, notetakers, proctors, adaptive computers and equipment, computer skills training, alternative test arrangements, priority registration, on-and off-campus referrals, and specialized instructional materials for students.
- Provision of individualized counseling, course selection assistance, financial aid and financial literacy information and assistance, limited grant aid, support with graduate admissions and financial aid, staff and faculty advocacy, and other activities to foster a supportive institutional climate.
Currently enrolled students with disabilities certified by the SSWD office, who meet the TRIO SSS eligibility requirements and have a need for academic support services in order to successfully enhance their retention and graduation, should meet with a SSWD counselor to go through an in-depth needs assessment to develop an individual educational plan. To be eligible for the TRIO SSS Program for students with disabilities, a student must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident or meet the residency requirements for Federal student financial assistance.
- Have a documented disability: professional verification must be on file at Services to Students with Disabilities (SSWD).
- Be enrolled at Sacramento State or accepted for enrollment in the next academic term.
- Have a need for academic support, in order to pursue successfully a postsecondary educational program.
Students who are not eligible for the TRIO program may still be assisted through Services to Students with Disabilities for their basic disability accommodation needs.
Please inform SSWD at email@example.com if you encounter any problems accessing the SSWD web site.