Foreign Travel Insurance

Foreign Travel Insurance Program and Related Information

Prior to reporting travel and requesting insurance, faculty members should first complete the Travel Expense Justification - International form.

It is important that Sac State faculty and students traveling internationally on University business do so in a safe manner. One such safe practice is to report to the University when a faculty member plans to travel abroad, but it is also important that insurance is in place before making such a trip.

All employees who travel internationally on CSU business are required to purchase insurance through the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) via the California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) and report planned trips as soon as practical. When travel to high hazard countries listed on the US State Department Travel Warning List is planned, notification through the Office of Risk Management must be made no less than 30 days in advance.

It is strongly recommended that members of the faculty and students traveling internationally should also sign up for the State Department’s Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is used by the State Department to connect with the traveler, furnish information should conditions change in the foreign location, and assist in an emergency. The traveler needs to only enroll once, then provide updates as trips are planned. You can enroll online at the STEP website.

Student Foreign Travel & Risk Issues

Students who travel have requirements that have been established by the Chancellor’s Office. See the Student Travel webpage for more information.

International travel has always been fraught with risks and hazards. War zones, natural disaster zones, areas of high violence and areas of anti-American sentiment should be considered when planning the itinerary. Our webpage on Addressing Risk Issues for International Travel provides guidance to help faculty plan a safe trip with students.

Foreign Travel Insurance Program

The Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) provides coverage anywhere in the world outside of the United States of America (including territories and possessions) and any country or jurisdiction which is the subject of trade of economic sanctions imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States.

Subject to terms, conditions, and applicable exclusions, FTIP benefits include but are not limited to the following:

  •  General Liability
  •  Excess Auto Liability
  •  Primary Medical Expense & Emergency Medical Benefits
  •  Emergency Medical Evacuation
  •  Repatriation of Remains
  •  Political Evacuations & Repatriation Benefit War Risk Coverage
  •  Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit

Worldwide Travel Alert

The U.S. Department of State has released a Worldwide Caution as of September 25, 2013 for any American traveling or residing abroad for the potential of anti-American violence. In response to the issuance of that alert, our insurer requires the following information before the insurance can be approved:

  •  All cities and countries of destination
  •  Details regarding activities and research
  •  Contact information for traveler while traveling
  •  Contact information for traveler’s accommodations while in the foreign country
  •  What modes of travel will be used to move about in destination country
  •  Airports traveler will be traveling to and from
  •  Any specific security measures taken (if none, so state)

Please include this information in your request.

The information above was taken from Chancellor’s Office coded memorandum RM 2011-03 dated March 7, 2011, which can be read here (PDF).

Premiums & Payment

Premium rates for FY 2013-2014:

    $60 for trips up to 15 day duration per trip, per employee
    $75 for trips up to 30 day duration per trip, per employee
    There is an additional premium for high-hazardous/war risk countries once travel is approved by the chancellor.


Premiums for travel by faculty will be made by Academic Affairs pending campus president and CSU Chancellor's Office approval, as needed. Programs such as the College of Continuing Education are self funded and pay for their own foreign travel insurance.

Other premiums, such as family coverage, will be paid for out of pocket.

Coverage for other participants

Our insurer can cover non-employee participants for foreign travel insurance. As a non-employee, premiums will not be paid by the University and must be paid out of pocket. A statement from our department will be sent to the requestor with instructions for payment.

  Foreign Travel Insurance Request Form