Postage Saving Tips
- Screen your mailing list for unnecessary names, duplicates and incomplete addresses. (Sac State Mail Services can help you with this.)
- Have campus Mail Services address and barcode your mail to save postage.
- Use “Certified” instead of “Registered” mail whenever possible. It costs less and still provides a receipt and notice of delivery to the sender.
- Do not over‐insure. The post office and UPS will pay only the actual value of an item, not the declared value.
- Use postcards for short messages or announcements. The cost is 1/3 less than sending an envelope.
- Use Business Reply envelopes provided by vendors, instead of department envelopes.
- FAX the information when time is crucial, instead of using Express mail.
- If you do need to use Express mail, check UPS, DHL and FedEx, as their services may be quicker and more economical. (Campus Mail Services can help with these inquiries.)
- Request Library and Book rate whenever possible. Savings can be as much as 50 percent of the cost of first class mail.
- Use intra‐campus envelopes for on‐campus mail. Use regular business envelopes for off‐campus mailings only.
- Use “Non‐Profit/Bulk Rate” whenever possible. Savings can be as much as 20 cents per mail piece.
- Use “Courtesy Reply” instead of “Business Reply” and save on First Class postage, plus ten percent processing fee.
If you have questions about these or other services, please contact Mail Services at x86783 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.