Student Professional Liability Insurance Program

Key Links


Professional Liability Insurance – also known as Malpractice or Medical Malpractice, or Errors and Omissions is liability insurance to cover professional exposures for errors in the rendering of or failure to render professional services. This type of coverage is generally found in medical practice such as physicians, nurses and physical therapists, as well as for attorneys, and tax specialists.

Professional Services are those services which the general public does not or cannot have access and cannot do on their own, or in which the public routinely relies on the services of a trained professional. For example, a patient places total reliance on a physician, surgeon accountant, attorney, travel agent and the general public has no way of acquiring the skills, experience or access to the systems or information, hence the reliance upon professionals.


CSU Executive Order 986 issued August 24, 2006 established the SPLI program.

The Policy

The CSU has put into place an excellent professional insurance program for student fieldwork or practicum experience in the following areas of study: Allied health professions, Education (formal student teaching), Social Work and students in Therapeutic Recreation internships. Students doing most types of internships in those academic areas are automatically covered by the blanket policy. The policy is renewed each year on July 1st and runs through June 30th of the following year. The coverage is effective ONLY for those internships which are directly related to and required by an academic, for-credit class. The policy covers those internships that are conducted during the summer, prior to the beginning of the class with which they are associated. The policy is underwritten by Lloyds of London, a highly rated and very solid insurer.

Paying for the insurance

From September of 2006 through August of 2011, students who registered for eligible classes at Sac State which were invoiced $20/year for that insurance regardless of how many classes they might have taken within that one-year period. However, because of the effort and costs associated with notifying students and collecting the fee, as of September 2011, the Vice President of Administration and Business Affairs decided to pay the fee from University funds. Hence, students are not charged the fee for Student Professional Liability Insurance.

Certificates of Insurance

Many institutions will require evidence of insurance from the University showing that our students are covered by a professional liability insurance policy. You can request for a certificate of insurance (which shows evidence of insurance) by submitting an online SPLIP Request for Insurance, completing a SPLIP Insurance Request form (PDF) or by contacting the Risk Management office with the following information:

    • Institution's name
    • Address
    • Point of Contact
    • Phone Number
    • Fax Number
    • Email address
    • Date the insurance is needed

Please send in the request at least one month prior to needing evidence of coverage.