ABA GREEN NEWS
SAC STATE NAMED 2010 SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS OF THE YEAR
Vice President Ming-Tung “Mike” Lee and Director Linda Hafar accepted a 2010 Sacramento Sustainable Business Award from the Business Environmental Resource Center (BERC) on behalf of Sac State on October 8. The annual award, presented by Congresswoman Doris Matsui, honors top performers whose sustainability efforts demonstrate environmental excellence and community leadership.
Submitted by SMUD, the nomination cites the University’s commitment to the conservation of natural resources through energy efficient practices. Specific examples include the proactive pursuit of technologies that mitigate environmental impact, such as Sac State’s partnership with SMUD on the federal Smart Grid proposal, and design upgrades in the new American River Courtyard (ARC) student housing complex. Upgrades in ARC are significant in that they exceed state-mandated requirements by more than 34 percent. Among the innovations are super efficient chillers, upgraded insulation, high-efficiency lighting, a solar water heater and a cool roof. These improvements will reduce energy consumption by more than 555,000 kilowatt-hours, saving the campus an estimated savings of $44,273.
AWARDS RECOGNIZE BROAD EFFORTS
ABA’s focus on sustainability has earned widespread recognition and numerous awards for Sacramento State. The University has been recognized as a valuable community partner for its efforts to mitigate air pollution, and for its proactive approach to sustainable practices in transportation, new construction, building renewal, and environmental health and safety. Sac State leverages partnerships with other state institutes of higher education and with the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) to increase its ability to implement sustainable improvements in how it does business.
Noteworthy awards granted to Sac State for sustainability over the past few years include:
- 2010 Breathe California Clean Air Award
- 2010 SMUD Savings by Design Program Award ($74,331)
- 2010 California Higher Education Energy Efficiency Partnership Program Best Practice Award for Overall Sustainable Design
- 2010 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act through the Department of Energy Smart Grid Award ($8.6 million)
- 2010 3Degrees Renewable Energy Award
- 2010 Sacramento Environmental Commission (SEC) Environmental Recognition Award
- 2010 California Higher Education Energy Efficiency Partnership Program Best Practice Award for Energy Efficiency
- 2009 Sacramento Business Journal New Public Project Award
- 2008 BERC Sacramento Sustainable Business Program, Certificate of Achievement
- 2007 California Higher Education Energy Efficiency Partnership Program Best Practice Awards in HVAC
DATA SHOWS IMPROVEMENT
ABA’s commitment to sustainability has earned recognition for Sac State. But, more importantly, sustainable practices forge a path of continual improvement in areas such as energy use, recycling and purchasing, as demonstrated by the following.