fall leavesWhat are the changes to the withdrawal policy?

Effective Fall 2010 students may withdraw from no more than 18 units in their undergraduate career. Any "W" grades received prior to Fall 2010 do not count towards the 18 unit maximum.

How is dropping a class different from withdrawing?

Students drop individual classes; students withdraw from all the classes they are enrolled in.

How do I withdraw from classes?

During the first two weeks of school, go to the Student Services Counter in the Lassen Hall lobby. After the second week of classes, go the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013.

What if I can't come to campus to file the withdrawal form?

It's best to discuss withdrawing with an advisor, but if this is not possible students can download the instructions and withdrawal form. Fax your form to the number listed on the form - and confirm receipt by checking your record a few days later.

When is it a good idea to withdraw?

Usually students withdraw because a change in their circumstances prevents them from devoting the time and focus they need to succeed in school. For questions related to withdrawing, please contact the Academic Advising and Career Center, Lassen Hall 1013.

Can I get a refund if I withdraw?

Refunds depend on when you withdraw:

  • Before classes begin - full refund less a $10 processing fee
  • From beginning of classes to the 60% date in semester (in 9th week) - prorated refund
  • After 60% date - no refund

More information can be found in the refund policy.

Do I have to reapply to return to Sac State?

Students who withdraw after the first day of instruction are eligible to return the following semester or the semester after that without reapplying for admission.

Are there any disadvantages to withdrawing?

In addition to the unit limits for "W" grades, students who withdraw two semesters in a row or a total of three semesters are subject to administrative probation. Additional withdrawals could result in administrative disqualification.