Transfer Students

transferAs a transfer student, you already have a great start on your college career—you have a minimum of 60 units completed, including GE areas A and B4.

Regardless of the substantial work you’ve already completed, all transfer students still need to complete some GE while at Sacramento State (see “Residency Units” below). It is important that you meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising & Career Center to evaluate what GE areas you still need to complete.

We encourage all transfer students to see their major department advisor within the first semester on campus.

Evaluation of Transferred Units

An official review and evaluation of your transcripts takes one to two semesters to complete. Once completed, you can check your approved transfer credits on your My Sac State account through the drop-down box titled “Transfer Credit Report,” as well as on your Academic Requirements page. If you do not see your transferred units after two semesters or you do not feel they have been transferred correctly, please stop by the Academic Advising Center to have an advisor review your account with you thoroughly.

More information regarding the Transcript Evaluation Process

Residency Units

You must earn a minimum of 120 units to graduate from Sacrament State with a Bachelor’s Degree (some majors require more units). As a transfer student you must complete at least 30 units at Sacramento State campus (courses offered by the College of Continuing Education and Credit by Examination units do not count toward the 30 unit requirement). At least 24 of these units must be upper division, including at least 12 upper division units in your major (except for Business Administration, English, and Psychology which require 15 units). More Information on Graduation Requirements.


How do I know if my transfer courses meet my major requirements?

  • Bring unoffical transcripts to your major department for review. A major advisor will be able to tell you which courses from your transfer school meet requirements in the major.

How do I find out which GE requirements are remaining?

  • Check the Degree Progress Report on My Sac State.

Where do I get help in figuring how to complete my GE?

  • Advisors in the Academic Advising and Career Center (Lassen Hall 1013) will provide students with the help they need to complete their GE requirements.