Skip to main content

Division of Student Affairs

Academic Advising Center


Who is my advisor?

A major advisor is a faculty member in the major department who answers questions pertaining to requirements within the major.

A general education advisor is an academic advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Center (Lassen Hall 1013) who answers any questions related to general education, graduation requirements, grading policies, etc. The Academic Advising and Career Center operates on a drop-in basis and does not advise on major requirements.

There are also designated advisors for students in specialized programs such as EOP, CAMP, MEP, and Intercollegiate Athletics.

What should I talk about with a GE advisor?

Below are examples of questions asked of the academic advisors:

  • Which GE courses do I have remaining?
  • How do I complete the foreign language requirement?
  • Am I ready to apply for graduation?
  • Should I repeat this course?
  • What does it mean to be on Academic Probation?

What should I talk about with my major advisor?

A major advisor can help with short and long range planning:

  • Which courses should I take next in my major?
  • Is this a good major for me?
  • What jobs are available with this major?
  • What can you tell me about graduate school?
  • Will you check and sign my graduation application?

Get Connected

The Academic Advising Center offers current students advising on General Education and Graduation Requirements. The Center engages students in a developmental process that helps clarify and implement individual educational plans consistent with their skills, interests, and values.