The focus of English 20 is on exposition, argumentation,
research and integration of multiple and varied texts. English 20 includes
critical reading and analysis of text of all natures; martialling evidence
through research, and constructing a well reasoned argument. The emphasis
is on the improvement of students writing skills.
Course goals include:
- Review and build on skills from English 1A
- Develop students ability to summarize sophisticated texts
and integrate texts of others into the students own writing.
- Challenge students to read critically, to understand the ideas
behind the issued to evaluate what they read, and to become better
readers as well as writers.
- Improve students ability to gather data by providing occasions
for students to search for more information, and by providing a variety
of sources and methods, including but not limited to library research,
for finding this information.
- Refine style; improve use of written language. Create an awareness
of a sensitivity to written language by offering models of superior
- Increase students understanding of the multi-cultural nature
of the world by including in the course reading materials from ethnic
minority or non western writers and/or multicultural issues.
Compose purposeful essays which summarize, evaluate and integrate
texts outside their own experience.