Committee on Diversity and Equity (CODE)
Committee Meetings: 1st & 3rd Mondays, 1:30 - 3:00 pm, University Union
The Committee on Diversity and Equity reviews, develops, and recommends to the Executive Committee revisions to existing goals, policies, and procedures in accordance with University non-discrimination policies. (FS 99-108).
Based on federal equal opportunity and affirmative action guidelines, the committee reviews, develops, and recommends to the Executive Committee revisions to existing goals, policies, and procedures in accordance with the University non-discrimination policies.
Identifies (in consultation with the University’s Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office) and reports to the Executive Committee on areas in which policy needs to be established.
Participates in establishing both short-term and long-term goals for University equity and diversity and evaluates progress toward achieving those goals.
Reports to the Executive Committee on progress in meeting the objectives** specified for the Pluralism Theme of the University’s Strategic Plan.
Works to develop and assure implementation of an assessment plan for analyzing the progress toward achieving the University’s equity and diversity goals.
Prepares an annual report on equity and diversity to be presented to the Faculty Senate in the spring semester.
Heightens faculty’s awareness of the University’s equity and diversity goals, policies, and procedures; and works with Colleges and Departments to achieve these goals.
Reviews and recommends methods to improve recruitment and retention of diverse faculty.
Provides assistance to Departments and Colleges as they seek to achieve equity and diversity in hiring.
Provides assistance to University, College and Department Search Committees as they seek to achieve equity and diversity in hiring.
Recommends to the Executive Committee representatives to serve on University-wide Search Committees.
(7) At-large faculty members three year terms *
(1) Faculty senator term corresponds to term of senator
(1) Staff member two-year term
(1) Student member one year term
(10) Total voting members
(1) Affirmative Action Officer or designee (ex-officio, non-voting member)
* Members will serve staggered three-year terms.
The Senate, in making appointments, shall attempt to represent the University as broadly as possible and to reflect the diversity of the campus community. Members should have a strong commitment to promoting equity and diversity.
Election of the Committee Chair will occur at the last meeting of the spring semester. The Chair elect will serve for following academic year.
**The objectives associated with the Pluralism Theme of the University’s Strategic Plan are as follows:
1. To create an environment which yields graduation rates that are independent of racial, ethnic, cultural, and gender differences.
2. To graduate students who are aware of and sensitive to racial, ethnic, cultural, and gender issues, and who have the knowledge and skills needed to live productive lives in a multicultural society.
3. To create an environment in which all employees are supportive of University efforts to achieve a pluralistic community, are knowledgeable about University efforts, and have the skills, awareness, and motivation to support these efforts at the University, unit, and individual levels.