Curriculum Subcommittee Standing Rules
The Curriculum Subcommittee is a subcommittee of the Curriculum Policies Committee (CPC) and is responsible for reviewing and making recommendations regarding all modifications to existing courses/programs and all proposals for new courses/programs.
- Reviews and makes recommendations regarding modifications to existing courses/academic programs and proposed new courses and academic programs, including all undergraduate, graduate, interdisciplinary, extended learning, minors, options, emphasis and study centers, and off-campus programs based on University policies.
- Makes recommendations on substantive program change proposals or creation of new academic programs to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.
- Makes recommendations on non-substantive program change proposals and course change proposals to the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Prepares and presents an annual report to the Faculty Senate.
A. Voting Members
Twelve college-based faculty members appointed by the Faculty Senate. No more than two members may be from a single college and no two members may be from the same department/unit. Every effort shall be made to encourage membership from each college.
- Eleven college based faculty members; and
- One faculty member from the Curriculum Policies Committee (CPC).
B. Non-Voting/Ex-Officio Members
- One liaison from, and appointed by, the Graduate Studies Policies Committee (GSPC);
- The Dean of Undergraduate Studies;*
- The Dean of Graduate Studies;* and
- The Faculty Senate Chair.
*Administrative positions are appointed by the President or designee.
Additional ex-officio membership may be recommended by the subcommittee, the Curriculum Policies Committee, the Executive Committee, or the President or designee.
- The term of appointment for faculty representatives shall be for two years, with the possibility of reappointment. Appointments will be staggered to ensure that approximately one-half of the faculty members are appointed each year; and
- The term of the non-voting / ex-officio members will be one-year.
- The Chair shall be elected from and be among the voting members of the Committee.
- The term of office of the Chair shall be one year. The term shall begin at noon on the last day of the spring semester in which elected and shall end at noon on the last day of the spring semester of the following year.
- A faculty member may be elected to serve up to three consecutive terms of one year each as the Committee Chair. After an interval of a year following the end of the third consecutive term, the faculty member shall become eligible again for election to the Chair of the Committee.
- The Chair is responsible for establishing the agenda for each meeting.
- At its first meeting of the academic year, the Committee shall elect from its voting members a Vice-Chair.
- The term of office of the Vice-Chair shall be one academic year. The term shall begin upon election of the Vice-Chair at the first committee meeting of the year and shall end at noon on the last day of the spring semester of the academic year.
- The Vice-Chair shall preside over the routine business of the Committee in the absence of the Committee Chair or should the office of the Committee Chair become vacant, until the election of a new Committee Chair.
- The Committee shall be a subcommittee of, and reporting to, the Curriculum Policies Committee.
- Issues addressed by the Committee may be referred to the Curriculum Policies Committee and/or the Executive Committee.
- Any of the Standing Policy Committees of the Faculty Senate may refer issues to the Committee either through the Curriculum Policies Committee or the Executive Committee.
- The Committee shall meet monthly or as needed at a designated time and place.
- Meetings will be open.
- The meeting agenda shall be distributed and supporting documentation provided to the Committee at least 72 hours prior to the meeting.
- Committee agendas will be published and made accessible to the campus community at least 72 hours prior to the meeting.
- A quorum of the Committee shall be a majority of the voting members. The Committee shall not officially take action in the absence of a quorum.
Adoption of Standing Rules
- FS 14/15-102: Adopted February 4, 2015
- AS 96-87/CPC/EX: Adopted November 14, 1996