California State University, Sacramento
Thursday, November 30, 2006
Foothill Suite, University Union
3:00 - 5:00 p.m.
CONTINUED DISCUSSION: SECTION 6.06 OF UNIVERSITY ARTP POLICY - (3:15-4:00)
(This is the second in a series of discussions)
On September 28, 2006 - The Faculty Senate approved the following motion:
AFFIRMATION OF FACULTY REFERENDA ON
FS 05-69/EX. - UARTP DOCUMENT - AMEND SECTION 6.06.D
The Executive Committee recommends the following motion:
The Faculty Senate affirms the results of the ballot measure calling for the
rescission of FS 05-69, Ex., and requests that the President rescind the
changes specified in FS 05-69, Ex., and commits itself to a series of
discussions on the underlying substantive issues in the Fall 2006 semester. The
Executive Committee will provide to the Senate a schedule of these discussions.
Note: pertinent background materials can be found in the agenda of
September 28, 2006.
Section 6.06.D.1 of the University ARTP Policy states ". . . to assure itself
that it (the department) is providing equality of treatment and equal employment
opportunity to all applicants . . . "
FS 05-69 amended Section 6.06.D of the UARTP Policy. The amendments' main
themes have been summarized as follows (with the relevant sections of the Policy
Who can serve as Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity
- AA/EEOR may be probationary faculty (if dept allows probationary faculty
to serve on hiring committees) (D.1.A.)
- AA/EEOR is voting member of hiring committee (D.1.A.)
- Dept chair cannot be the AA/EEOR (D.1.E.)
- Elaboration of duties (D.2. D – F)
- Review of national availability data to develop recruitment plan
- Written affirmation of no inappropriate action (D.2.G.)
- Applicant flow data assessed to recommend strategies for future searches
- Training for all faculty in the search process (D.3.A.)
- Without training cannot participate in search (D.3.B.)
- Bifurcated training (D.3.A.)
- Training required every 3 years (D.3.C.)
- Amendments were not drafted by the UARTP Committee
The following timeline of events is provided:
2005-2006 FACULTY SENATE ACTIONS
- November 17, 2005 – first reading
- December 8, 2005 – second reading. Second reading was
tabled until February 2, 2006
- February 2, 2006 – FS 05-69/Ex. approved by the
- March 2, 2006 – FS 06-80/Flr. - MOTION TO SUBMIT
FS 05-69/EX. (UARTP DOCUMENT - AMEND SECTION 6.06.D) TO A REFERENDUM OF
THE FACULTY defeated by the Senate.
- March 7, 2006 – notice of intent to seek signatures of
faculty to take FS 05-69/Ex. (to rescind FS 05-69/Ex.) to
referenda filed with the Faculty Senate.
- April 3, 2006 – the sufficient number of signatures to
take FS 05-69/Ex. to referenda received by the Faculty Senate.
- April 24-May 5, 2006 – balloting occurs. The referenda
was approved 86 (yes = rescind) to 61 (no = do not rescind).
- May 9, 2006 – the Faculty Senate transmits the voting
results to President Gonzalez for his information and action.
- February 28, 2006 – President approves provisions of
- August 31, 2006 – President requests clarification from
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS
- September 19, 2006 – Faculty Senate’s Executive
Committee, in response to President Gonzalez’s memo of August 31, 2006, places
FS 06-125/Ex. on the September 28, 2006 Faculty Senate agenda, a
resolution affirming the results of the faculty referenda on FS 05-69/Ex.,
and requesting rescission.
- September 19, 2006 - Faculty Senate’s Executive
Committee, in response to President Gonzalez’s memo of August 31, 2006, agrees
to place a resolution on a Fall 2006 Senate agenda to re-consider the
provisions of FS 05-69/Ex., thus starting a campus dialogue on the
issue, as called for in the Spring 2006 initiative.
- reconsideration of FS 05-69 verbatim
- consideration of another motion or set of motions that amends Section
- Faculty Senate's home page: www.csus.edu/acse,
or, from the CSUS home page, click on Faculty and Staff, then Faculty Senate.
- For new Senators: "TOP
TEN THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW AS A FACULTY SENATOR".
- Meeting procedures
Schedule of Faculty Senate meetings:
- December 7, 2006 - no Senate meeting
- December 14, 2006 - tentative
- December 21, 2006 - tentative