Forms and Links
- Residence Fee Purposes (pdf)
- California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request (pdf)
- Residency Questionnaire (pdf)
Residence Classification Information
Under California law, each campus must determine the residence status of all new and returning students. Non-residents are required to pay non-resident tuition.
For complete information about Tuition and Fees, visit the Student Financial Services Center.
Generally, to be eligible for resident classification, a person must be able to establish the following one year prior to the residence determination date:
- They have the legal right to establish California residency.
- The have initiated the legal intent to establish California residency.
- They have established and maintained a physical presence and permanent residence in California.
Residence determination dates for each academic term for Sacramento State are:
- Fall Semester: September 20th
- Spring Semester: January 25th
Residence determination of minors is based on the residence status of their parents. Minors are those applicants under the age of 19 on the applicable residence determination date. For more information about California residence requirements, review information on Residence for Fee Purposes (PDF).
Please note that no official determination of residence status will be made until after a student has submitted an application for admission.
If you have been notified that you are classified as a non-resident for fee purposes and would like to have your status reviewed, please view the following options:
- Submit a Residency Questionnaire Residency Questionnaire (PDF) along with supporting documentation to the Residency Screening Office in the Admissions & Outreach Office in Lassen Hall, or mail (no FAX) to the address below by December 16, 2015 for Spring 2016 admission.
- If you are eligible for the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540), print the California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request (PDF), complete it and submit it to the Residence Screening Office. More information about AB540 may be found at Dream Act. Please note: exemption requests will not be considered until AFTER we receive official high school transcripts showing a graduation date.
- Once documents have been submitted and reviewed, any change in residency status will be noted on the Student Center of your My Sac State.
- If, after review of your documentation, it is determined that you still do not meet residency requirements, or if more information is required, you will be notified by the Residency Coordinator. If you have not been notified of your status by your scheduled orientation date, please call the Residency Coordinator at (916) 278-7766.
Additional questions may be directed to the Residency Coordinator, located in the Admissions and Outreach Office, Lassen Hall 1102, by calling (916)278-7766, or via email at email@example.com. Mail any documents (no FAX) to:
Admissions & Outreach
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6048
If you are a continuing Sacramento State student seeking to change your status from non-resident to resident, more information may be found at http://www.csus.edu/sfsc/Payment--Fees.html, or by calling the Student Financial Services Office at (916) 278-4270. The Residency Coordinator will not be able to assist continuing students in change of states requests.