AB540 requires that state colleges and universities keep student information confidential. A student's immigration status cannot and will not be reported to immigration officials or any other third party.

AB540 Directory

Frequently Asked Questions for AB 540 Students

Q: If I am undocumented can I go to college?

A: YES. If you are an undocumented student you can go to any college or university in California, as long as you meet the requirements and are admitted.  To avoid paying out-of-state tuition, you need to meet the AB 540 eligibility requirements. 

Q: If I am undocumented, can I apply for financial aid?

A: Beginning January 1, 2013, students who meet AB540 requirements are eligible to apply for and participate in any student financial aid program administered by the California State University and the State of California.

Q:  How do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

A: In order to qualify for in-state tuition (at a public California college or university) under AB 540 you must have completed 3 years of high school in California and graduated or obtained the equivalent of a high school diploma.  You must also complete an AB 540 affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption form) at the college/university that you will attend stating that you meet AB 540 eligibility requirements. 

Q: When should I apply?

A: Fall Term: October 1 - November 30 at www.csumentor.edu
    Spring Term: August 1 - 31 at www.csumentor.edu

Q: Is the AB 540 Affidavit/California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form confidential?

A: YES. The AB 540 Affidavit will only be filed with college or university you attend.