AB540 requires that state colleges and universities keep student information confidential. A student's immigration status cannot and will not be reported to immigration officials or any other third party.

AB540 Directory

Online Resource Guide

This resource guide is intended to assist students, parents and advisors with commonly asked questions about "AB 540", along with helpful resources.

You can attend and afford to go to college! There are 3 California laws that make the dream of going to college possible for AB 540 students, including undocumented students.

Your Path to Higher Education

  1. Application Process
  2. AB540 Requirements & Tuition
  3. Financial Aid and Institutional Scholarships

Admissions Process

The process for applying to Sacramento State is no different from any other student with the exception of the social security section of the CSU application:

  • When completing the CSU application, the section requesting a social security number should be left blank.
  • Please complete the entire application, as it applies.
  • Upon completion and submission of the application, you will need to complete and submit an affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request Form).
  • When you complete the affidavit form, please be sure to select the box, which best describes your immigration status. NOTE: Non-immigrant aliens admitted to the U.S. temporarily or who hold a visa are not elligible.
  • High school seniors should submit their affidavit shortly after they have successfully graduated from high school.
  • NOTE: The affidavit will not be accepted, if you have not yet submitted your official final high school transcripts with the graduation date posted. Please be sure to submit your official transcripts before submitting the affidavit form.


AB540 was signed into law on Oct. 12, 2001. Students who meet specific requirements under AB540 are exempt from paying nonresident tuition at public California colleges & universities. Click here for more detailed bill information


In order to qualify for AB 540 a student must:

  1. Have attended a high school in California for 3 years or more.
  2. Have graduated from a California high school or received the equivalent of (GED).
  3. File and affidavit with the public state college or university stating that he or she will file an application to obtain legal permanent residency as soon as he or she is eligible.

If you are eligible for the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB540), print the California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request (pdf), complete it and submit it to the Residence Screening Office.

If you are a continuing student seeking to change your status from non-resident to resident more information can be found at http://www.csus.edu/sfsc/Residency-Reclassification.html or by calling (916) 278-4270.

Additional questions may be directed to the Residency Coordinator, located in the Admissions and Outreach Office, Lassen Hall 1102 or by calling (916)278-7766 or via email at caresidency@csus.edu

Contact Us