Featured Alumni Friday
Featured Alumni Fridays is a great new series on Facebook that gives HPPA the opportunity to highlight the accomplishments of our many alumni while facilitating networking among the social media community!
If you would like to participate, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes a picture of yourself and a short bio with information like your hometown, degrees, grade year, and current employment. Please also let us know what you love about Sacramento State!
Recently Featured Alumni: Erika Springer '11, Eric Guerra '03, MPPA '08 and Joaquin Castaneda '09
Erika Springer received her BA Communication Studies, Public Relations from Sacramento State University in 2011. She currently serves as Director of Business Development at LRS Architecture-Handicap Accessibility Consulting and previously worked as a Regional Recruiting Specialist at Thrivent Financial, served as City Sponsorship Chair with Delta Gamma and Project Coordinator at Direct Technology.
When asked about what she loved about attending Sac State, Springer says, "I loved all the ways there were to be involved around campus. Whether you were looking for something social, academic, or somewhere in between there was a group or club for everyone. Now as an alumni, there are still so many great ways to connect to our Sac State community. Being involved both as a student and now alumni in Delta Gamma sorority leadership and the GE Honors Program leadership has helped me grow my skills and resume and also accelerated my career." Erika is from Folsom.
Eric Guerra obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 2003 and later, earned his Master’s in Public Policy and Administration in 2008 from Sacramento State University. Eric currently serves on the Sacramento City Council representing District 6; he is also the current Policy Director for Assemblymember David Chiu. Eric's passion for higher education led him to become President of the Alumni Association at Sacramento State University.
When asked about what he loved about attending Sac State, Eric shared,"The professors at Sac State were amazing. I made lifelong friends through Sac State and even met my beautiful wife, Christina. The experience I gained in both the undergraduate program and Master’s program helped lead me into my current career in the City of Sacramento and in the State Legislature. What I love about Sac State is that it is a true vehicle to achieve the American Dream."
Joaquin Castaneda currently works as Senior Manager in Local Government Affairs for global biotech leader Genentech, covering facilities in CA, OR and KY. He was previously the District Director for CA State Senator Ricardo Lara, managing all local government affairs and served as his primary spokesperson in the district. Prior to that position, he worked for a State Senator and a member of the State Assembly and worked managing several state political campaigns. Graduated from Sac State in 2009 with B.A. in Government and Minor in Chicano-Latino Studies, Joaquín owes his opportunities as a club leader in M.E.Ch.A, Director of Office of Gov't Affairs, ASI and Sacramento Semester Program Class of 08' for gaining extensive real life experiences which set a foundation for a successful career in government both in the public and private sector. Joaquín is now based in Carlsbad, CA.
When asked about what he loved about attending Sac State, Joaquin shared, "I appreciated the access to professors who heavily invested time and sincere effort to provide a quality education with real life applications. Additionally, the Sacramento Semester Program provided me internship roles at the State Capitol that jumped started my career in campaigns and Government Affairs both in the public and ultimately private sector. Sac State was my training ground which established a sound foundation and professional network." Joaquin's hometown is La Puente, California.
If you would like to be our next Featured Alumni, please comment below or e-mail us at email@example.com
Previous Featured Alumni Friday
- Erika Springer '11 (Journalism)
- Eric Guerra '03, MPPA '08 (Engineering/Public Policy Administration)
- Gregg Fishman '84, (Journalism)
- Joaquin Castaneda '09 (Government)
- Alex Barrios '03, MA '10 (Public and Political Communication)
- George Raya '72 (Political Science)
- Walt W. White '91 (Fire Service Management)
- David Villanueva '99 (Business Administration - Accountancy)
- Michelle L. Callejas '86 (Criminal Justice), MS '92 (Counselor Education)
- Michael Shores '96 (Criminal Justice)
- Paul Lake, M.A.'89 (Social Work)
- Carol Dahmen '93 (Journalism)
- Dan Weitzman '94 (Government)
- Justin J. Caporusso '02 (Communication Studies)
- David O. Harmon '05 (Journalism)
- David Murillo '99 (Business Administration)
- Sergio Aguilar, MPPA ‘13
- George Bravo, MPPA ‘13
- Caylyn Brown, MPPA '08
- Katie Cardenas, MPPA ‘13
- Brandon Chaplin, MPPA ‘13
- Monica Cortez-Hernandez ’13 (Government/Journalism)
- Tami Cowgill, MPPA '17 (expected)
- Samantha Farmer '10 (History & Government)
- Darrell Fong '88 (Business Administration)
- Matt Gray '01 (Communication Studies)
- Fielding Greaves, MPPA '11
- Eric Guerra ’03 (Electrical and Electronic Engineering), MPPA ‘08
- Erik Johnson, MPPA ‘11
- Sheila Johnston, MPPA '09
- Devin Lavelle, MPPA ‘11
- Tamar Lazarus, MPPA '08
- Justin Lehr '05 (Government)
- Angela Marin, MPPA ‘13
- Kevin McCarty, MPPA ‘11
- Michael Minnick '05 (Child Development), MPPA '07
- Krystal Moreno '11 (Communication Studies)
- Haley Myers, MPPA '11
- Janus Norman '02 (Communication Studies)
- Berman Obaldia '89 (Government/Political Science)
- Danielle Parsons '13 (Business Administration)
- Sarah Pollo '06, MA '15 (Government)
- Phil Pluckebaum '01 (Philosophy)
- Martin Radosevich, MPPA '10
- Silvia Rodriguez, MPPA '05
- Ryan Roebuck '10 (History & Government), MPPA '12
- Josh Rosa, MPPA ‘08
- Dan Scott, MPPA '05
- Tim Shestek '94 (Communication Studies)
- Arianna Smith, MPPA '13
- Hanna Stelmakhovych '13 (Government)
- Andrew Sturmfels, MPPA ‘12
- Shery Vang '12 (Government)