LockDown Browser - Installation
Note for Students: The Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) software in SacCT was changed to begin automatic updates starting on May 30, 2014. If you are prompted to update your version of LockDown Browser you MUST update it or you cannot use the software to take a test.
For assistance in updating the LockDown Browser software, please see Respondus LockDown Browser: Run Updates and Take an Exam (PDF).
Installation of Browser for Windows
Follow these steps to install Respondus LockDown Browser for Windows:
- Confirm that you have Internet Explorer version 5.5 or higher already installed on your computer. If you are unsure of the version number, select "Help" from the menu bar in Internet Explorer and then select "About Internet Explorer" to view the version number. NOTE: Internet Explorer is REQUIRED to run the Respondus LockDown Browser software on a Windows computer.
- Download the Respondus LockDown Browser software for Windows. Save the file to your desktop or My Documents.
- Double-click the installation program called "LockDownSFX.exe" where you saved it, and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser by clicking the shortcut on the desktop. To take an exam or quiz, refer to the steps in Taking an Assessment.
Installation of Browser for Macintosh
Issue with LockDown Browser, Firefox for Mac
If you are a Mac user and your versions of Respondus LockDown Browser and Firefox are crashing, the cause may be a recent update to Java 6 (update 29) for Mac OS X. At this time, you cannot use the LockDown Browser on a Mac computer that has Java 6 (update 29) – you will need to use another computer or update your version of Java. For Firefox users, please use another browser, such as Safari. We also recommend not installing Java 6 (update 29), if prompted as part of the Apple software update.
Follow these steps to install the Macintosh version of Respondus LockDown Browser:
- Be sure that you are using OSX 10.3.9 or higher, with 512K RAM as a minimum, and have Safari installed on your computer. NOTE: Safari is REQUIRED to run the Respondus LockDown Browser software on a Macintosh computer.
- Download the Respondus LockDown Browser software for Macintosh.
- Click the Install button to begin the installation, and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser by clicking "Applications" and selecting "LockDown Browser". To take an exam or quiz, refer to the steps in Taking an Assessment.
Last updated: August 7, 2014
Academic Technology & Creative Services (ATCS)
| California State University, Sacramento
AIRC 3005 | 6000 J Street | Sacramento, CA 95819-6143 |