- Learning Management
- Content Development
- Digital Media
- Interactive Learning
- contact us
RESPONDUS LOCKDOWN BROWSER: INSTALLATION
Note: The Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) software in SacCT was updated on July 19, 2013 to coincide with the Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 12 revisions.
If you installed the LockDown Browser software prior to June 25, 2013, you must download and install the latest version from this page.
Installation of Browser for Windows
Follow these steps to install Respondus LockDown Browser for Windows:
- Confirm that you have Internet Explorer version 5.5 or higher already installed on your computer. If you are unsure of the version number, select "Help" from the menu bar in Internet Explorer and then select "About Internet Explorer" to view the version number. NOTE: Internet Explorer is REQUIRED to run the Respondus LockDown Browser software on a Windows computer.
- Download the Respondus LockDown Browser software for Windows. Save the file to your desktop or My Documents.
- Double-click the installation program called "LockDownSFX.exe" where you saved it, and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser by clicking the shortcut on the desktop. To take an exam or quiz, refer to the steps in Taking an Assessment.
Installation of Browser for Macintosh
Issue for Mac users running the latest Java update (1.6.0_31)
There is an issue with Respondus LockDown Browser for Mac users running the latest Java update (1.6.0_31). The problem occurs during the startup of the Mac version of LockDown Browser or when submitting a test, which can cause the software to stop working and freeze your computer. Respondus has resolved the issue and does not expect future versions of Java to cause similar issues. To get the fix from Respondus, you must download and install the full version of LockDown Browser from the steps below. The update process within LockDown Browser does not contain the latest fix, so use the link below to get the full version.
Issue with LockDown Browser, Firefox for Mac
If you are a Mac user and your versions of Respondus LockDown Browser and Firefox are crashing, the cause may be a recent update to Java 6 (update 29) for Mac OS X. At this time, you cannot use the LockDown Browser on a Mac computer that has Java 6 (update 29) – you will need to use another computer or update your version of Java. For Firefox users, please use another browser, such as Safari. We also recommend not installing Java 6 (update 29), if prompted as part of the Apple software update.
Follow these steps to install the Macintosh version of Respondus LockDown Browser:
- Be sure that you are using OSX 10.3.9 or higher, with 512K RAM as a minimum, and have Safari installed on your computer. NOTE: Safari is REQUIRED to run the Respondus LockDown Browser software on a Macintosh computer.
- Download the Respondus LockDown Browser software for Macintosh.
- Click the Install button to begin the installation, and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser by clicking "Applications" and selecting "LockDown Browser". To take an exam or quiz, refer to the steps in Taking an Assessment.
Last updated: July 9, 2013
Why Use Respondus LockDown Browser?
LockDown Browser can:
- Increase security of online quizzes and exams
- Ensure students are focused on your assessments, and not distracted by other applications
How Does It Work?
Respondus LockDown Browser provides a custom interface for the Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Macintosh) software that is already installed on the computer.
- Does not modify an existing copy of Internet Explorer or Safari
- Uses same security features currently installed for Internet Explorer or Safari
- Will not modify current version of Internet Explorer or Safari
ATCS, California State University, Sacramento | AIRC 3005 | 6000 J Street | Sacramento, CA 95819-6143 | (916) 278-3370
If you have difficulty accessing content on this page, please visit the Contact Us page.