- Learning Management
- Content Development
- Digital Media
- Interactive Learning
- contact us
RESPONDUS LOCKDOWN BROWSER: UPDATE
Note: The Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) software in SacCT was updated on July 19, 2013 to coincide with the Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 12 revisions.
If you installed the LockDown Browser software prior to June 25, 2013, you must download and install the latest version from the Installation page.
The Student Experience
Students should no longer see a password pop-up screen when they begin a test in Respondus LockDown Browser. The password screen has confused students in the past.
Students should only be prompted for an additional password now if the instructor required it when Respondus LockDown Browser was enabled for the test. Otherwise, the system knows when you are using LDB and will enter the system password for you.
If a student is prompted with a password screen, he/she is using an older version of Respondus LockDown Browser or the instructor requires an additional password. See the Installation page to download the latest version.
The Instructor Experience
The process for enabling/disabling LockDown Browser for a test has changed slightly:
- In your SacCT course, click Course Tools (below the Control Panel).
- Click Respondus LockDown Browser.
- In the Respondus LockDown Browser screen, click the icon to the left of the test you want to require LockDown Browser.
- Click Modify Settings, as shown below.
- Select "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam" - the box expands to show the password options.
- The optional passwords are NOT required on this screen, as long as you do not normally put a password in the 'Edit the Test Options' screen. LDB automatically adds its own password to the 'Edit the Test Options' screen for your test. You must keep this system password in order for LDB to work.
If you prefer an additional level of exam security and normally require students to enter a password, type a password in the optional "Password to access exam" box rather than entering it in the 'Password' box on the 'Edit the Test Options' page.
- Click Save and Close.
Last updated: July 19, 2013
Why Use Respondus LockDown Browser?
LockDown Browser can:
- Increase security of online quizzes and exams
- Ensure students are focused on your assessments, and not distracted by other applications
How Does It Work?
Respondus LockDown Browser provides a custom interface for the Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Macintosh) software that is already installed on the computer.
- Does not modify an existing copy of Internet Explorer or Safari
- Uses same security features currently installed for Internet Explorer or Safari
- Will not modify current version of Internet Explorer or Safari
ATCS, California State University, Sacramento | AIRC 3005 | 6000 J Street | Sacramento, CA 95819-6143 | (916) 278-3370
If you have difficulty accessing content on this page, please visit the Contact Us page.