LockDown Browser - Taking an Assessment
Note for Students: The Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) software in SacCT was changed to begin automatic updates starting on May 30, 2014. If you are prompted to update your version of LockDown Browser you MUST update it or you cannot use the software to take a test.
For assistance in updating the LockDown Browser software, please see Respondus LockDown Browser: Run Updates and Take an Exam (PDF).
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect to the Internet.
- Locate the "LockDown Browser" shortcut on the desktop (or from the Start menu) and double-click it for Windows users, or for Macintosh users, launch "LockDown Browser" from the Applications folder.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. instant messaging), choose Yes. If you do not close the blocked program, Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) will close. If you are prompted to close another application, but that application is not running, try restarting your computer and then run the LockDown Browser.
- If prompted to update your version of LockDown Browser, choose Yes. If you do not the program, Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) will close. After the program installs the update you will need to restart the LockDown Browser software again.
- After the program starts login to SacCT.
- Go to your course and navigate to the quiz or test.
- Read the instructions and click Begin. If the Begin button is disabled, it means you are not running LockDown Browser – return to step 1 above.
- If you receive a pop-up to enter a password, then enter the password you received from your instructor.
- The system knows when you are using LDB and will enter the system password for you on the next screen.
- Once an assessment is started, you cannot exit until the Finish button is clicked.
Last updated: August 7, 2014
Academic Technology & Creative Services (ATCS)
| California State University, Sacramento
AIRC 3005 | 6000 J Street | Sacramento, CA 95819-6143 |