Natural Sciences Advising Center (NSAC), Sequoia 238
NSAC Hot Stuff (Current information)
Two kinds of assistance are available at NSAC
- Advising about major requirements for Biological Sciences majors and pre-majors, who are freshmen or transfer students in their first semester
- Advising about requirements for health professional schools (e.g. medical, dental, pharmacy, optometry) for any interested student
Academic Advising for Biological Sciences majors
- NSAC will be open for the Spring 2013, starting on January 28, 2013, for academic advising about the Biological Sciences major.
- During the first week of classes advisors are available only on a drop-in basis: M 10-3, T 9-4, W 10-12 and 1-2:30, Th 9-4:30, F 9-1:30.
- After the first week students with appointments will be served first. Advisors will be available: Monday through Friday at various times, shown on the Appointment Calendar.
- To schedule an appointment: Access the Academic Advising Appointment Calendar , hit the “Click to Schedule an Appointment” button, log in as directed, and make sure you scroll down to the Natural Sciences Advising Center (for Biological Sciences major advising) and not the Academic Advising Center (for General Education Advising).
- No appointments at NSAC will be available after the last day of final examinations.
- Finding internships, co-op positions, volunteer experiences, or part-time jobs
- Composing resumes and/or cover letters
- Job search strategies
- Registering with and using Career Connection (online job listings)
- Choosing/changing a major
- Choosing/changing a career goal
- Practicing for interviews, including for graduate or professional schools, or preparing for graduate school
- Other career questions or help
Frequently Asked Questions
I am a freshman and this Fall is my first semester at Sac State. Do I have to make an appointment with NSAC?
Yes, freshmen matriculating this Fall should schedule and attend an advising session in NSAC once in fall and once in spring, in addition to their advising at the Academic Advising Center. Don’t forget to bring your red advising folder.
I am a transfer student and this is my first semester at Sac State. Do I have to make an appointment with NSAC?
Yes, transfer students matriculating this semester should schedule and attend an advising session in NSAC during their first semester here. During this session we will help you plan for your second semester and help you find an advisor for future semesters.
I have been a Bio major at Sac State for over two years. Do I need to make an appointment with NSAC?
Currently NSAC advisors only have time for mandatory meetings with freshmen and transfer students in their first semester here. If you have been a student here for over 2 years, continue seeing the faculty member from whom you have been receiving advising. If you don’t yet have a faculty advisor, come to NSAC for help.
What should I bring to my advising session?
Please bring the advising folder you received at orientation. Keep that folder up to date with all transcripts (unofficial ones printed from My Sac State or previous institutions are fine) of college course work and diagnostic test scores.
Can I just drop in for advising?
Drop-ins are accepted, but students with appointments are seen first. If you drop in, be sure you are prepared with questions and your advising folder.
What will happen if I do not attend a mandatory advising session at NSAC?
Failure to attend a mandatory advising session will lead to a hold being placed on your registration for the next semester. This may delay your registration and prevent you from enrolling in desired classes.
I am thinking of changing my major to Bio Sci. Where do I get advising?
NSAC advisors will help you learn about pre-major and major requirements and help you complete forms for changing your major.