If your child's idea of summer fun is hiking, kayaking, building a Mars Rover, or perfecting the curveball, Sacramento State has a summer program to fit his or her needs.
Sacramento State's Aquatic Center offers a full array of water sport camps for youth ages 7 to 17, including sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, canoeing, water skiing and white water rafting. Optional overnight campouts are available for participants.
Academic Talent Search provides more than 100 academically challenging, fast-paced summer courses for sixth- to ninth-grade students in subjects as diverse as web design and the Internet, cartooning, forensic science, photography and algebra. One-, three- and five-week courses are available from June 15 to Aug. 7.
Sacramento State coaches and student-athletes will lead a number of athletic day camps for kids and teens. Baseball, softball, volleyball and soccer are some of the sports camps being offered on campus.
Science Adventures Summer Camp returns for nine week-long sessions geared to kids ages 5 through 12. This year's sessions include "Gizmo’s Robot Factory," "Space and Rocketry," "Powerful Planet" and "Fabulous Physics Challenge."
Peak Adventures offers three camps for kids 9 to 17 years old with daylong and overnight camping options. The Green and Gold Camp, for ages 9 to 12, lets children explore the Sacramento State campus in activities such as outdoor river walks, swimming and arts and crafts. The Adventure Camp encompasses hiking, rock climbing, white water rafting and an overnight campout for ages 12 to 15. Teens ages 13 to 17 can learn to lead their peers in the Expedition Camp, a week-long backpacking adventure with white water rafting.
WAVE camp serves 10-to 25-year olds with physical disabilities. It provides instructional and recreational aquatic opportunities to youths and young adults.
For more information about the specific programs offered, refer to the contact numbers and websites listed on the following schedule.
Schedule of Sacramento State youth programs summer 2009
Academic Talent Search
7750 College Town Drive, Suite 101
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org http://edweb.csus.edu/projects/ATS
One-, three- and five-week sessions offered throughout the summer to students in grades six through nine. Call for information on required testing and application process. The application deadline is April 27.
• Two one-week programs: June 15–19 and Aug. 3–7
• Two three-week programs: June 22–July 10 and July 13–July 31
• One five-week program: June 22–July 24
Science Adventures Summer Camp
(888) 458-1812 www.scienceadventures.com
• Nine week-long camps offered throughout the summer for kids ages 5 through 12. Starts June 15 –19 and continues through Aug. 10–14.
Recreation and sports
(916) 808-6017 www.accessleisuresac.org/wave.htm
• Water activities for youths and young adults ages 10 to 25 with disabilities. Two sessions offered, July 6–10 and July 12–16.
Sacramento State Aquatic Center at Lake Natoma
1901 Hazel Avenue
(916) 278-2842 www.csusaquaticcenter.com
• Programs offered March 30–Aug. 21 (excluding June 29 – July 3) for kids ages 7 to 17 in sailing, windsurfing, wake boarding, canoeing, kayaking, waterskiing, jet skiing, rowing and more.
Expedition, Adventure and Green and Gold Camps
(916) 278-6321 www.peakadventures.org
• Green and Gold Camp for ages 9 to 12
• Adventure Camp for ages 12 to 15
• Expedition Camp for ages 13 to 17
Sacramento State Athletic Camps
(916) 278-6481 www.hornetsports.com
• Athletic day camps for kids and teens in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball and other sports. Contact the athletic department or check their website for updates on new summer sports programs. Registration forms can be downloaded online.
About the writer:
Sacramento State’s Chris Neuschafer can be reached at 278-6156.
California State University, Sacramento Public
6000 J Street Sacramento, CA 95819-6026 (916) 278-6156