How A Fellow Alum Can Buy Back CalPERS Time
A Fellow can buy back their time (1 year) from CalPERS to count toward their retirement, this comes in handy if you want to retire from the State at an early age. This may seem really early to think about, but the longer you wait, the more it costs.
To receive service credit for your year as a fellow, you will need to go to the PERS website (http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp?bc=/member/service-credit/purchase-options/serviceprior.xml) and follow these steps:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the website.
- Click Request for Service Prior to Membership Service Credit Cost Information Form
- Download the PDF form
- Complete Sections 1, 2 and 3 of the Form. Since you worked as a Fellow, you do not need to complete Sections 4-7.
- Make a copy for your records and send it directly to CALPERS.
CalPERS Member Services Division
P.O. Box 4000
Sacramento, California 95812-4000.
- Review Additional Resources
• Cost Estimator
• Purchase Payment Methods
- You will receive a cost estimate in the mail and will be able to decide at that point whether you want to proceed.