Information for Current & Former Fellows
Buying Back CalPERS Time
To receive service credit for your year as a fellow, you will need to follow these steps:
- Download the Request for Service Credit Cost Information Form
- Complete sections 1, 2, and 3 of the form. Since you worked as a Fellow in the CSU system, you do not need to complete sections 4-7.
- Make a copy for your records and send it directly to CALPERS.
CalPERS Member Services Division
P.O. Box 4000
Sacramento, California 95812-4000.
- Review Additional Resources
* Cost Estimator
* Purchase Payment Methods
- You will receive a cost estimate in the mail and will be able to decide at that point whether you want to proceed.
Fellows are not members of the Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). However, federal law mandates that Fellows participate in a retirement plan. The appropriate public retirement plan is the Part-Time, Seasonal, and Temporary Employee Retirement Plan (PST). Participation requires that 7.5% of the monthly stipend be retained as deferred compensation. Ninety days following the conclusion of the fellowship, Fellows may rollover their plan contribution to an IRA. If the funds are not deposited in an IRA, they will be refunded and taxed as current income. There is also an early withdrawal penalty.
For additional information please see the Savings Plus website: www.sppforu.com or call (866) 566-4777.