The LegiSchool Project's Real World Civics Summer Internship
The LegiSchool Project's
Real World Civics Summer Internship gives a select number of high school students the opportunity to experience state government first hand. Students gain not only practical skills from the internship, but are also exposed to all branches of state government, as well as volunteer experience at a local community-based organization. Students who are currently juniors or seniors are eligible to apply.
The five-week internship will provide interns with positive examples of public service, the political process, and state government in general.
Interns will be selected from high schools in the greater Sacramento area. Interns will spend time job shadowing Capital Fellows, graduate students working in legislative and executive branch offices. Assignments will include work experience in either the Senate or Assembly, and the Executive branch of state government.
A stipend of $350 will be provided upon successful completion of the internship.
Eligible students must attend high school in the greater Sacramento area and must have reliable transportation to and from the State Capitol during the entire internship.
- Who's who and what's what in the State Capitol
- "Behind the scenes" tour of the Capitol
The Legislative Process
- Attend committee hearings and floor sessions at the Capitol
- Learn how lobbyists work to influence the legislative process
Job-Shadowing Two of the Following:
- Capital Fellows in the State Senate or Assembly
- Capital Fellows in the Executive Branch
- A look into California's judicial system
- Tour of the Sacramento County Courthouse
- Meeting with a Sacramento Superior Court judge
- Attendance at a trial
- In-depth examinations of some of California's most pressing issues: education, healthcare, the environment, the budget process and more!
- Luncheon to honor interns
*Activities subject to change
"I have gained a complete understanding of both the state and local government through the program that no textbook could ever offer. Even for those not interested in pursuing an occupation in government, I would highly recommend the internship."
Click here to download the 2013 LegiSchool Intern PowerPoint Presentation.
Click here to download the 2012 LegiSchool Intern PowerPoint Presentation.
Click here to download the 2011 LegiSchool Intern Prezi Presentation.
Click here to download the 2010 LegiSchool Intern PowerPoint Presentation.