California Senate Fellows Program
Established in 1973, the California Senate Fellows (CSF) program is one of the oldest and most distinguished service learning programs in the country. The CSF program grew out of a desire to provide people with insight into the legislative process through experiential learning. It offers college graduates a paid, full-time legislative staff position in the State Capitol for 11 months. The fellowship program's primary goals include exposing people with diverse life experiences and backgrounds to the legislative process by providing research and other professional staff assistance to the Senate. The CSF program is jointly sponsored by the California State Senate and the Center for California Studies at California State University, Sacramento. Fellows receive a monthly stipend of $2,627 plus full health, vision and dental benefits. They also earn 6 units of graduate credit from the Sacramento State Government Department.
The 2016-17 fellowship application period is closed.
- Senate fellows receive fully-paid enrollment at California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento State), and earn graduate units for seminars taught by faculty from the Sacramento State Government Department.
- Eighteen California Senate Fellows will be selected to serve as full-time Senate staff for 11 months beginning in October. Fellows are assigned to Member or policy committee offices and work as part of the public policy staff team in the Capitol. Responsibilities include helping develop legislative proposals, researching and analyzing bills, responding to constituent inquiries, and writing press releases and speeches. Many of the CSF participants continue their post-fellowship as career staff to the California Senate.
- Applicants must be 20 years of age must have completed their undergraduate degree by September 1st of the fellowship year.
- Applicants must be prepared for full-time employment, Monday through Friday.
- 2016-17 Fellowship Application
- Three original/current letters of recommendation. At least two of the letters must be from persons who are not presently Members or employees of the California Legislature. It is strongly suggested that at least one of the recommendations be provided by a faculty member familiar with your work and one of the recommendations be provided by a supervisor/employer.
- Transcripts from each college and university attended.
- Application Deadline: February 8, 2016 at 5:00 pm PST
- April: Invitation to selected candidates to interview before selection committee panel.
- Late April/early May: Interviews in Sacramento and Los Angeles.
- May: Acceptance letters sent out to selected candidates.
- October: Selected class of fellows begin fellowship in Sacramento.
If you have questions regarding the Senate Fellowship Program please call (916) 278-6906 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader required to view documents on this page.