Career Counseling Appointments
Career counseling is about learning how to make informed decisions; decisions that reflect your personal criteria for choosing a satisfying major and work you will enjoy.
Come in and see a career counselor. Together you can:
- choose or change your major
- make educated career choices
- investigate your optionsengage in self-exploration
- research the world of work
- identify and experience actual work environments
- plan your job search
- ....and much more!
Spring & Fall Walk-in hours: Monday-Friday 9am-4:30pm
Summer Walk-in hours: 10am-3pm
During work hours, the Career Center provides walk-in services for students and alumni. Walk-ins are 15-20 minute time slots available for students to visit the Career Center on a drop-in basis and meet with a Career Counseling Assistant. Walk-in Appointments are a great place to start when you come to the Career Center for the first time, as well as follow-up visits for immediate assistance. A walk-in visit is required prior to scheduling an individual appointment with a career counselor. You can meet with Career Counseling Assistants during walk-ins and discuss such things as:
- cover letters
- resume critique
- job search strategies
- interviewing tips
- choosing/changing a major
- choosing/changing a career
- researching the world of work
- decision-making and goal setting
- internships, part-time jobs, co-op positions
- on-campus employment
- relating majors to the world of work
- planning for graduate school
- employment trends
Career Counseling Appointments
Appointments can be arranged after meeting with a walk-in counselor.
Career counselors are available for individual appointments. They enjoy working with students who are choosing or changing their major, who want to learn about different occupations, who are looking for experience in a field of interest, who are preparing for their job hunt, or who just need to talk with someone about school and the decisions confronting them. One-hour individual appointments can be made with professional staff in the Career Center by calling 916-278-6231, or by talking with the receptionist when you come into the Career Center. Check the career planning process for more information.
Practice for Interviews (PFI)
You can practice your interviewing skills in a one-on-one session with a counselor. Make an appointment with the Career Center receptionist.
- PFI sessions are 60 minutes long.
- Please come dressed as you would for an actual interview and bring a copy of your resume.
- The PFI session is done in a supportive environment. Our goal is to give you helpful interview techniques and allow you to ask questions and receive feedback regarding your interviewing skills.
- All PFI sessions are confidential and conducted in an enclosed office or workshop room setting.
- Bring a list of concerns or questions you have about interviewing in general and/or an interview you had for a specific position to discuss with the career counselor.
- Students are welcome to schedule follow-up Practice for Interview sessions in order to practice the strategies they learned during their first PFI.