Career Counseling Appointments
Career counseling is about learning how to make informed decisions; decisions that reflect your personal criteria for choosing a satisfying major and work you will enjoy.
Come in and see a career counselor. Together you can:
- choose or change your major
- make educated career choices
- investigate your optionsengage in self-exploration
- research the world of work
- identify and experience actual work environments
- plan your job search
....and much more!
Spring & Fall drop-in hours: Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Summer drop-in hours: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
During work hours, the Career Center provides drop-in services for students and alumni. drop-ins are 15-20 minute time slots available for students to visit the Career Center on a drop-in basis and meet with a Career Counseling Intern. drop-in Appointments are a great place to start when you come to the Career Center for the first time, as well as follow-up visits for immediate assistance. A drop-in visit is required prior to scheduling an individual appointment with a career counselor. You can meet with Career Counseling Interns during drop-ins and discuss such things as:
- cover letters
- resume critique
- job search strategies
- interviewing tips
- choosing/changing a major
- choosing/changing a career
- researching the world of work
- decision-making and goal setting
- internships, part-time jobs, co-op positions
- on-campus employment
- relating majors to the world of work
- planning for graduate school
- employment trends
Appointments can be arranged after meeting with a drop-in counselor.
Career counselors are available for individual appointments. They enjoy working with students who are choosing or changing their major, who want to learn about different occupations, who are looking for experience in a field of interest, who are preparing for their job hunt, or who just need to talk with someone about school and the decisions confronting them. One-hour individual appointments can be made with professional staff in the Career Center by calling 916.278.6231, or by talking with the receptionist when you come into the Career Center. Check the career planning process for more information.
You can practice your interviewing skills in a one-on-one session with a counselor. Make an appointment with the Career Center receptionist.
- PFI sessions that are videotaped are 90 minutes long (you will need to bring a 1/2 inch VHS tape).
- PFI sessions that are NOT videotaped are 60 minutes long.
- Videotaping the PFI is optional.
- When you schedule your PFI please let the receptionist know whether you prefer a videotaped or non videotaped session.
- Please come dressed as you would for an actual interview and bring a copy of your resume.
- The PFI session is done in a supportive environment. Our goal is to give you helpful interview techniques and allow you to ask questions and receive feedback regarding your interviewing skills.
- All PFI sessions are confidential and conducted in an enclosed office or workshop room setting.