Internships & Volunteerism
Sutter Hospital, working in collaboration with the Sac State Career Center, places over 100 Sacramento State students each spring in volunteer positions through the Sutter Volunteer Program. You can volunteer at a variety of locations where you will get exposure to many of the different components of the healthcare field. To volunteer through this program, you must carefully review the timeline and specific instructions outlined below.
Please note: This program only places students during the spring semester.
Benefits of Volunteering...
- Possibility of gaining internship units! Contact your major department to learn if the Sutter Volunteer Program qualifies for credit.
- Valuable experience that will help you when applying to professional schools including nursing programs, medical schools, etc.
- Exposure to the diverse career paths in healthcare.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- The Sutter Hospital Student Volunteer Program is for currently enrolled Sac State undergraduate students with 60 or more units completed by the end of the fall 2014 semester and currently enrolled graduate students. Alumni are not eligible to participate.
- If you wish to participate, you will be required to show proof that they have received the necessary immunizations. For a list of immunizations required by Sutter, click here.
- Most volunteer unit assignments are located at Sutter Memorial Hospital (SMH) or Sutter General Hospital (SGH). However, some assignments are at other Sutter Medical Center locations in the Sacramento area including: Sutter Oaks Midtown (SOMT) or Sutter Capitol Pavilion.
- You will have to complete an assigned background check which is approximately $42.00, as well as purchase scrubs and a photo I.D. badge for around $18.00.
- Please be aware that placement is not guaranteed.
- If placed, you must attend Sutter’s On-site Orientation which will be held 2/14/15*. On-time attendance is mandatory. You will be dropped from the program if you cannot attend this Orientation or if you arrive late.
- Prepare to commit 4 hours/week to volunteering for a total of 100 hours. Hours must be completed in the spring and summer of the year you are placed.
Sac State Sutter Volunteer Program - Timeline and Application Instructions
Note: The Sac State Sutter Volunteer program is only open to currently enrolled undergraduate students who will have completed 60 or more units by the end of the Fall 2014 semester and currently enrolled graduate students.
Step 1. Register online for the mandatory Sutter Volunteer Program Orientation held on campus on Saturday, November 1, 2014 located in the University Union Redwood Room. You must attend the orientation session you RSVP for - no exceptions will be made.
Online Registration will be available beginning Monday, September 29, 2014
At the Sutter Volunteer Program Orientation, you will learn about the program and receive important information regarding the application such as where to find application materials and instructions on completing the application. The orientation is mandatory. Applicants who do not attend the orientation will not be placed.
The orientation is mandatory. Applicants who do not attend the orientation will not be placed.
Step 2. Completed application packets are due to the Career Center (Lassen Hall 1013) by 5 p.m. on Friday, November 14, 2014. Incomplete, late or incorrect information will disqualify the applicant.
Step 3. On Monday, November 24, 2014 you will be notified what department you have been placed in.
- You must accept your assignment by 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 25, 2014. You will be required to submit a minimum of 500 word Letter of Purpose with placement confirmation. If you do not accept your placement by the deadline, it will be given to an alternate student.
Step 4. All students with confirmed placements will be required to do the following:
Complete an online background check by Friday, December 19, 2014. Instructions will be sent through email once assignments have been accepted.
Step 5. Attend the mandatory Sutter On-site Orientation at 9 am on Saturday, February 14, 2015*. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late, you will not be admitted and will forfeit your placement.
Still have questions? Check out the Sac State Sutter Volunteer Program FAQ page.
Sutter Volunteer Program - Positions
Below are descriptions of the unit positions where volunteers can gain experience.
- Administration Volunteer (SHSSR)
- Administration Volunteer (SMH, SGH)
- Capitol Pavilion Surgery Endo
- Cardiac Cath Lab
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Service
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Gynecology Medical Surgical
- High Risk Maternity
- ICU (SGH)
- ICU (SMH)
- Infusion Cancer Center
- Labor and Delivery
- Maternal Newborn
- Medical Surgical (SGH)
- Oncology and BMT
- Oncology Speciality Clinic
- Pathology (SGH)
- Pharmacy Volunteer
- Rehab Services
- Senior Care U Street and Franklin Blvd
- SHVI Research Volunteer
- SIMR Volunteer Position
- Surgery Recovery (SGH)
- Telemetry (SGH)
- Telemetry (SMH)
- Transplant Advanced Heart Therapy Services