Internships & Volunteerism
Student Development Leader
Alexander Twilight Secondary Academy
"Educate, inspire and empower students to make college for certain!"
Join the Aspire Alexander Twilight Secondary Academy team to help prepare high school students for college. Student Development Leaders will have the opportunity to:
- Provide academic support to 6th through 12th grade students in a subject area of the leader's choice.
- Develop teaching skills by working one-on-one with students and utilizing educational strategies and techniques.
- Teach small groups based on differentiation in instruction needs.
- Implement interactive and engaging lesson plans in a classroom setting.
- Grade classroom assignments, maintain students' records, and assist teachers with clerical duties as needed.
- Serve as a role model to high school students while helping prepare them for college.
- Run a College and Career Club to help prepare students for success in college.
- Be mentored by a professional teacher while being exposed to various aspects of teaching.
- Receive evaluations by a professional teacher to grow and build teaching skills.
- Create a special project based on the leader's unique interest that will enrich ATSA staff and students' experience.
- Work in a growing educational organization with a variety of future career opportunities.
- Participate in extracurricular activities outside the classroom while engaging with ATSA staff and students.
"The main things I have enjoyed most about tutoring at ATSA is gaining firsthand experience working in a fast-paced, professional environment while helping enthusiastic kids learn more and motivating the less-inspired kids to learn to love learning. The only thing I have not been pleased with is the lack of Hornets in the program! Not only can students such as myself gain valuable experience volunteering in the program, but I can testify to the fact that ATSA (as well as probably, well, any school anywhere) can never get enough help.”
-James Jones, major: Communication Studies, fall 2012
“This position was perfect for me. It had flexible hours and an amazing staff to work with. I learned much in my time as a tutor and gained valuable work experience along with making some great connections with the students. Through this program, I was able to do a little bit of my own teaching and that was amazing. I must say that the staff I worked with was my favorite part as they were always professional but helped me feel extremely comfortable and safe in their environment.”
-Eric Sheckler, major: English, spring 2012
This is a non-paid volunteer opportunity requiring Student Development Leaders to work at school site during school hours and in an after-school program setting. Weekly hours are subject to negotiation with Aspire Alexander Twilight Secondary Academy staff. For more information about Aspire Alexander Twilight Secondary Academy, click here.
- Be a currently enrolled Sacramento State University student from any major.
- Junior and seniors are highly encouraged to apply.
- Commit to a weekly schedule during spring 2014 and be able to complete at least 40 hours at the end of spring 2014.
- Have a sincere desire to help students succeed in their schoolwork.
- Exude professionalism and be responsible at all times.
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively.
How to Apply:
Contact Shannon Wells, email@example.com or 916.278.6235 for more information.
Please note that Student Development Leaders are required to be fingerprinted which costs $60. Once selected for the position, they will receive further instruction and required documents. Cost of fingerprinting may be reimbursed to leaders after successfully completing 20 hours.
Questions about the Student Development Leader position?
Contact: Ms. Nadia Wahdan, firstname.lastname@example.org or