Conditions Favorable to Initiate a Collaborative Process
- Issues Do Not Focus on Constitutional Rights Or Very Basic
- Potential Areas for Agreement; Multiple Issues for Trade-Offs.
- Primary Parties are Identifiable and Will Participate.
- Each Party Has Legitimate Spokesperson.
- Potential Deal-Breakers are at the Table.
- No Party has Assurance of a Much Better Deal Elsewhere.
- Parties Anticipate Future Dealings With Each Other.
- Relative Balance of Power Among the Parties.
- External Pressures to Reach Agreement.
- Realistic Timeline for Completion.
- Adequate Resources/Funding to Support Negotiations