Are you a Sac State student looking for that ultimate winter/spring break experience? Looking for an opportunity to let your leadership, teamwork, communication, or organization skills shine? Or just want to share your Sac State pride? Then check out Alternative Break, offering short-term, local, community-based service projects for Sac State students.
Through Alternative Break, Sac State students provide much needed service to diverse communities, while building skills and great friendships.
Alternative Break is a short term commitment. You can choose to work from one day to all week, depending on your availability. Alternative Break is a great opportunity to network with local community based organizations; develop personal and professional skills; connect with your campus and local community; and it looks good on your resume.
Register online to sign up for events or to join our mailing list to learn about upcoming volunteer opportunities.
Sign up as a group or an individual, and work together as a team with your Sac State peers to make a difference in the Sacramento region. All majors and experience levels welcome. Individuals needing reasonable accommodations for disability access are to contact Community Engagement Center at 916-278-4610 or firstname.lastname@example.org, at least 5 business days before the event.
Do you have what it takes to be a student Team Leader? Team Leaders help oversee on-site activities and serve as the primary point of contact for student volunteers. Most importantly, they are outgoing individuals who help ensure all volunteers have a safe, positive, and memorable Alternative Break experience. If you would like to learn more about how to volunteer as a student Team Leader, check the Team Leader information box on your online registration form and we'll contact you soon.
To be the first to hear about upcoming information sessions, event dates, and participating service partners, click the following link to sign up online or join our mailing list.
ALTERNATIVE BREAK: March 24-28, 2014
Join us for service benefitting local non profits and communities in the Sacramento Region. Register online to volunteer one or more days.
Monday: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm (limit 20)
Tuesday 8:00 am - 12:0 pm (limit 20)
Habitat for Humanity, Sacramento
Wednesday: 8:00 am - 1:30 pm (limit 20)
Meals on Wheels
- Thursday: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm (limit 20)
Sacramento Tree Foundation
- Friday: 7:45 am - 1:15 pm (limit 15)
All About Equine
Looking for more volunteer opportunities? Check out Sac State Serves!
In the News
What students said:
"This is a way of giving to the community that is supporting me and my college education."
Sac State Senior
Winter 2008 Team Leader
- Sacramento State FOCUS ON: Alternative Break
- Spotlight: Alternative Break
- 5/30/11 "An 'Alternative Break' for CSUS," The State Hornet
- 5/13/11 "Sac State students can give back to the community during Alternative Break," The State Hornet
- Winter 2010/11 "Service Breaks: Students Devote Vacation Time to Worthy Causes," Sac State Magazine
- 4/7/10 "Students pick community over Cabo," The State Hornet
- 4/3/09 “Alternative Spring Break,” News10
- 4/2/09 “Little play, no pay for Sac State spring break,” The Sacramento Bee
- 1/28/09 “Sleep or serve?,” The State Hornet
- 1/15/09 “MLK Week of Service Projects Provide a Winter Alternative Break Experience for Sac State Students,” CSU Impact
- 4/5/2008 “Students lay foundation for good deeds,” The State Hornet
- 3/24/2008 “Sac State students will use alternative break to serve community,” Sacramento State Bulletin
- 3/19/2008 "Alternative Break: breaking the mold," The State Hornet
- 2/26/2008 “Spring Alternative Break offers escape from party scene,” The State Hornet
- 2/26/2008 “Volunteer work triumphs spring break,” The State Hornet
- 1/31/2008 “In pursuit of selflessness,” The State Hornet
- 4/4/2007 “Students take an Alternative Break,” The State Hornet
- 3/13/2007 “Take an Alternative Break and provide some Shelter,” The State Hornet
- 3/5/2007 “Build a home strengthen ties; students to take a alternative spring break,” Sacramento State Bulletin
Alternative Break, a collaborative project sponsored by Sacramento State's Community Engagement Center and Associated Student, Inc. A-Team, offers Sacramento State students an alternative option for academic breaks.
last updated: 02/11/14