Since 1996, the Community Engagement Center has worked with hundreds of faculty and thousands of students to support the work of more than 200 community, non-profit, governmental and private organizations in the Sacramento Region. During the past 20 years, Sac State students have:
- written grants and organized fundraisers for dozens of non-profit organizations;
- developed nutrition education programs for community clinics;
- coordinated wheelchair basketball events;
- painted houses in underserved, underrepresented communities;
- conducted assessments for Title I schools;
- planted community gardens;
- harvested fruit to donate to local food banks; and
- participated in turkey giveaways for Thanksgiving;
- volunteered to be readers for children at libraries;
- exchanged letters with 5th graders to improve writing for both groups; and
- planned, implemented and evaluated events for municipal park and recreation agencies.
These are just some of the examples of the work that Sac State students have engaged in through Service Learning, Community Service and Civic Engagement.
On this website, you will find helpful information about how to get engaged in service, whether it’s Service Learning and/or community service.