October kicks off our third year of participation in the Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services (SFBFS) annual Spirit of Giving (SOG) donation drive. Through January 31, 2013, you can help by donating food and clothing or volunteer your time!
SFBFS is a private, non-profit organization that relies on community support to help strengthen families and give people a hand up during hard times. The SOG drive plays a key role in SFBFS' ability to provide emergency groceries and warm clothing to families during the holiday season and well into the new year.
New! Catch us around campus for "Indy's" Great Adventures! Every Wednesday, through December 12, from 11:45 am to 1:45 pm, we'll be on the move with Indy the Corn. You can still drop off donations onsite, or we'll come to you! Mobile donation collection restricted to the main Sac State Campus, weather permitting.
Food and clothing donations can be dropped off Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm, in Library room 4028, or at the second floor reference desk during Library business hours.
All donated items must be new or gently used and in working condition. Food items cannot be opened, prepared, or expired.
Items We Can Accept:
- Canned and dry goods
- Baby food and formula
- Men’s, women’s and children’s clothing, shoes, accessories
- Baby and maternity clothing, shoes, accessories
- Winter clothing and accessories (jackets, sweaters, hats, gloves, scarves, raingear, etc.)
Volunteering is a great way for donors to be a part of the process and to see donations in action. In 2011 we accepted SFBFS' challenge to see who can have the greatest volunteer participation, and are proud to say Sac State won; We're ready to take on that challenge again this year. For general volunteer information and to sign up for a SFBFS volunteer orientation, please click here. Clubs or organizations who wish to volunteer as a group (sessions which include an orientation and hands-on volunteering) may be arranged by contacting Robin Simpson, Volunteer Services Manager, at email@example.com.
- Run to Feed the Hungry - Looking for a quick and easy way to volunteer? There are many opportunities to get involved with the upcoming SFBFS event, Run to Feed the Hungry. Sign up with SFBFS online for the date, shift and service area that meets your interests/needs. Any hours completed will count towards our efforts to take on the Volunteer Challenge for a second year, so sign up for as many shifts as you'd like! http://runtofeedthehungry.com/volunteer/
- Turkey Drop - volunteers are needed Monday, November 19 to dristribute food items to around 7,000 families. Multiple shifts are needed for line monitors, helpers, and translators. For more information or to sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't forget to tell them Community Engagement Center sent you (list "Sac State SOG" as the organization on your volunteer form) or it won't be counted towards our challenge efforts!
Download SFBFS Volunteer Application (pdf)
For more information on Community Engagement Center's Spirit of Giving drive, email program coordinator Misty Garcia, email@example.com. Information about Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services, including programs and volunteer opportunities, may be found by visiting their website sacramentofoodbank.org or by calling SFBFS at (916) 456-1980.last updated: 11/21/2012