Chemistry Master's Program Application Information

Applying for Admission is Easy!

To apply for the Chemistry Master’s degree program, please do the following:

1.  Submit an application with the CSUS graduate office.  You must submit your application on-line.  With your application you will need to submit 2 official transcripts from all colleges and universities that you have attended and the application fee.  You do not have to submit transcripts for coursework completed at CSUS.  Your application does not go directly to the chemistry department.

If you attended college outside the United States, you must follow specific instructions for the submission of your transcripts.  Please follow this link for more information.

If you are currently living outside the United States and will need a visa to attend school here, then you must apply for graduate school through international admissions.  Please follow this link for information on admissions for non-resident international students.

2.  Arrange to have 2 letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose/research interests sent directly to the chemistry department.  Recommendation letters should be from people that are able to judge your ability to succeed in graduate coursework and independent research relating to chemistry.  Have the recommendation letters sent directly from the reference to the following address:

Chemistry Graduate Coordinator

ATTN: Dr. Susan Crawford

CSUS Chemistry Department

6000 J Street

Sacramento, CA  95819

Academic transcripts should NOT be sent directly to the chemistry department and will not be accepted by the department as part of an application.  Transcripts must be sent to the University Graduate Office (see 1 above).

The application deadline for fall 2016 is March 1, 2016.  All application materials must be submitted by the deadline. Applications are not being accepted for the spring 2015 semester. The application deadline for fall 2014 has passed.

Minimum Qualifications for Admission Consideration 

BA or BS degree in chemistry or its equivalent

            We consider an equivalent degree to include the following coursework:

                        1 year of calculus based college math

                        1 year of college general physics

                        1 year of general chemistry and general chemistry labs for chemistry majors

                        1 year of organic chemistry and organic chemistry lab for chemistry majors

                        1 semester of physical chemistry for chemistry majors

            We do not consider a degree in pharmaceutical chemistry to be equivalent to a chemistry degree.

A minimum 2.5 GPA overall, in the last 60 units of undergraduate coursework, and in chemistry, math, and physics courses

International students must have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (213 if computer based and 80 if internet based).


The CSUS graduate office posts answers to frequently asked questions.