Multiple Subject: Mandatory Orientation
Fall Semester 2016
Date: Thursday, August 25 and Friday, August 26
Location: AMD 150
The orientation will be a mix of instruction and community building. The following experiences will encompass the orientation.
Thursday, August 25, 2016
- 12:00 - 1:15pm - Lunch (Potluck Lunch) - More information will be coming from Lynn Solari.
- 1:30 - 4:00pm (What does it mean to be a Teacher?)
- 4:30 - 6:50pm (Former Teacher Candidate Panel)
Friday, August 26, 2016
- 9:00 - 10:50am (Math Methods for students enrolled in EDTE 314 section 02 only)
- 11:00 - 12:00pm (Community Building)
- 12:15 - 4:00pm (Working Lunch/Signature Components for the Multiple Subject Program)
MAKE A FEW SCHEDULE ADJUSTMENTS: We would like to alert you to a few schedule changes in effect for August 29th through September 2nd ONLY. The activities for orientation (August 25th and August 26th) and JumpStart week (August 29th through September 2nd) are outlined in the following table:
Two Semester click here
Please make a note of the days and times of JumpStart week requirements and plan accordingly. The changes to the schedule for JumpStart week are not permanent; the posted schedule (available here: http://www.csus.edu/coe/academics/credentials/resources/index.html) will be in effect from September 5th until the end of the fall term.
SUMMER READING FOR ALL CANDIDATES
Please complete the assigned summer readings prior to the first day of orientation. These readings form the foundation of our program’s philosophy and therefore pertain, in some way, to all of your program experiences. They are, in addition, required readings for the EDTE334A/B Principles of Teaching course. (Books should be purchased through Amazon where they will be less expensive than the Hornet Bookstore. Books will be used all year long so renting is also a good option.)
Check on MySacState for your EDTE 334A/B section – then see reading assignments below.
CANDIDATES IN EDTE 334A/B SECTION 01 WITH DALY:
Learning to Trust: Transforming Difficult Elementary Classrooms Through Developmental Discipline by Marilyn Watson and Laura Ecken
On Amazon with prime the hardback is $31.82 from other sellers on Amazon new/used start at $10.77
CANDIDATES IN EDTE 334A/B SECTION 02 WITH NOWELL:
White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide by Carol Anderson
On Amazon prime $18.61; other Amazon sellers (new/used) starting $14.52; kindle $11.96
CANDIDATES IN EDTE 334A/B SECTION 03 WITH BAKER:
For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood…and the Rest of Ya’ll Too by Christopher Emdin
Offered on Amazon – hardback $17.72; paperback $16.00
CANDIDATES IN EDTE 334A/B SECTION 04 WITH NORRIS:
Racialized Identities: Race and Achievement among African American Youth by Na’ilah Nasir
Paperback $18.55 (new and used from other sellers $14 to 17) also available on kindle
Other books required for the PT class during the fall semester will be (purchase these now if possible):
- Teaching to Change the World by Jeanne Oaks and Martin – amazon has the text as a rental at $15.42 per semester (DALY, NOWELL, BAKER, NORRIS)
- Setting Limits by Robert J Mackenzie on Amazon new - $14.40; used $11.95 (both offered prime) (NOWELL, BAKER, NORRIS)
- Discipline Without Stress, Punishment or Rewards by Dr. Marvin Marshall on Amazon new - $38.05, used starting at $24.76, Kindle - $10.49 (DALY)
If you have any questions, please contact the Teaching Credentials Office.