Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
Executive Editor, The Journal of Transformative Leadership and Policy Studies (JTLPS)
Office: 234 Alpine Hall
Office Phone: (916) 278-5557
Fax: (916) 278-5557
Dr. Carlos Nevarez serves as a Professor for the Doctorate in Educational Leadership program and Executive Editor of the Journal of Transformative Leadership and Policy Studies at California State University, Sacramento. He received his doctorate in Educational Leadership & Policy Studies and Master’s in Counseling from Arizona State University and has focused much of his work on developing academic programs designed to cultivate transformational leaders. These programs include one master’s and two doctoral programs in educational leadership. His recent research and publications focus on addressing what type of leadership training is available for higher education leaders and its impact on leadership development.
He has taught numerous courses on the topic of leadership theory, diversity, research methods, and student affairs. He currently serves as the Chair of the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Special Interest Group: Multicultural/Multiethnic Education: Research, Theory, and Practice and was a Doctoral Fellow for the Kellogg Foundation. Dr. Nevarez has held a multiplicity of internships and fellowships with national organizations: Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE); Education Commission of the States (ECS); National Science Foundation (NSF)/The Association for Institutional Research (AIR); and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). He also serves as a consultant for the College Board and the Education Testing Service (ETS).
- Wood, J. L., & Nevarez, C. (2014). Ethical leadership and the community college: Paradigms, decision-making, and praxis. Information Age Publishing.
- Nevarez, C., Wood, J. L., & Penrose, R. (2013). Leadership theory and the community college: Applying theory to practice. Stylus Publishing.
- Nevarez, C. & Wood, J.L. (2010). Community college leadership and administration: Theory, practice and change. New York, NY: Peter Lang.
- Nevarez, C. & Wood, J.L. (2010). Urban Principals' experiences and perceptions of teacher effectiveness: An analysis of student achievement, hiring and retention, and school culture. Journal of Transformative Leadership and Policy Studies.
- Nevarez, C., & Wood, L. (2007). Developing Urban School Leaders: Building on solutions 15 years after the Los Angeles Riots. Education Studies, 42(3), 266-280.
- Nevarez, C., & Keyes, K. (2007). Higher Education Leadership Training: Learning To Lead. The John Ben Shepperd Journal of Practical Leadership. Issue 2 (spring).
- Nevarez, C., & Rico, T. (2007). A synthesis of recurring recommendations and proposed solutions on improving the current status of Latinos in education. New York, NY: College Board.
- Leon, D., & Nevarez, C. (2007). Models of Leadership Institutes for Increasing the Number of Top Latino Administrators in Higher Education. Journal of Hispanics in Higher Education, 6, 356-378.