Contact Information and Office Hours
|Contact Information||Office Hours|
|Eureka Hall 420A
Monday: 3:00 - 3:50 pm
Tuesday: 3:00 - 3:50 pm
Wednesday: 3:00 - 3:50 pm
Joined Faculty: July 1990
Quote of Personal Interest
The woods are lovely dark and deep but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep.
Areas of Research/Scholarly Activity
My areas of interest are reading disability, bilingual special education and students who have a hard time learning to read, write, spell, listen, and those who have difficulty with comprehension. Also, my areas of interest are in direct instruction which is a systematic and explicit way to teach students who are having difficulty learning to read, write, spell and do math calculations that require reading. I have written and researched each of these areas and most especially the area of reading disabilities.
EDS 121 Multicultural Children's Literature
EDS 220 - Language and Literacy I
EDS 221 - Language and Literacy II
EDS 237 A/B - Transition Strategies for Students with Mild/Moderate Disabilities
- B.S. in Elementary Education, University of Texas El Paso
- M.Ed. Reading, University of Texas El Paso
- Reading Specialist Certificate, University of Texas El Paso
- Ph.D. in special education, University of Oregon
(area of specialization reading disabilities and learning disabilities)
Post doctoral work in moderate/severe/autism, vocational training
Professional Awards or Commendations
- Golden Nugget Award for Outstanding Alumnus, College of Education, University of Texas El Paso
- Reach Award, Special Education, El Paso Community-YMCA
- Autism Award, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services
- Outstanding Alumnus, University of Oregon
- Outstanding Teacher, Sacramento State University
Teaching English Learners in Inclusive Classrooms, 2nd Edition, (2006): Charles Thomas Publishers.
ACCESS Curriculum (Sheltered Instruction for 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th Graders in Math, Science, Social Studies, Newcomer and World History), 2006: Great Source Publishers, a Division of Houghton-Mifflin.
Systematic Instruction in Reading for Spanish Speaking Students, (2009): 2nd Edition Charles Thomas Publishers
Tesoros de Lectura K-6 basal reading series (2009): MacMillian Mc-Graw-Hill
Last updated: 29 January 2015
Update Your Profile Link