Contact Information and Office Hours
|Contact Information||Office Hours|
Brighton Hall 119
Office: (916) 278-5543
Tuesday: 10:00 - 11:30 am
Thursday: 10:00 - 11:30 am
Joined Faculty: August 1996
Quote of Personal Interest
I am the only COE faculty member of Cajun descent, Louisiana being my home state. I have not retained my French language but I am proud to maintain my Cajun heritage of joy for life, passion for music and good food, and love for friends and family. Laissez les bons temps rouler! which means, Let the good times roll!
Areas of Research/Scholarly Activity
As a former preschool teacher, my areas of research interest lie in the domain of early care and education. I have a specific focus in early language and literacy development in my scholarly work. In addition, I have presentations and publications related to early childhood teacher preparation and in the impacts of service learning for prospective teachers.
My community service work has focused on collaboration with early education agencies and programs in the Sacramento region, in particular partnerships efforts with our regional community college Early Childhood Education programs. I was the co-founder of the Sacramento Regional Alliance for the Professional Preparation of Early Educators.
I have been fortunate to also serve in many leadership roles within the CSUS community including committee chairs, program coordinator, department chair, etc., for which I received the CSUS University Service Award in 2010.
My undergraduate and graduate teaching experience and expertise encompass the areas of early education, language and literacy and teacher preparation. I have taught:
- CHDV 123 - Observation and Assessment
- CHDV 131 - Language Development
- CHDV 132 - Fieldwork in Child Development
- CHDV 136 - Developmental Curriculum
- CHDV 150 - A/B Early Literacy Development
- CHDV 248 - Curriculum and Instruction
- CHDV 290 - Seminar in Culminating Experience
B.A. Music Education, University of New Orleans, 1976
M.A. Early Childhood Education, University of New Orleans, 1989
M.Ed. Curriculum and Instruction, Emphasis in Early Literacy, University of New Orleans, 1993
Professional Awards or Commendations
- SETA Head Start Community Partnership Award, Spring 2001
- Community Award from Sacramento Child Care Coalition 2007
- CSUS University Service Award, 2010
- Gomez, S., Strage, A., Knutson Miller, K., & Garcia-Nevarez, A. (2009). Meeting the Need for K-8 Teachers for Classrooms with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students: The Promise and Challenge of Early Field Experiences. Teacher Education Quarterly, 3(4), 119-140.
- Garcia-Nevarez, A., Gomez, S., Knutson-Miller, K., & Strage, A. (2009). Teacher Preparation and Engaged Professionalism. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 13(3), 58-64.
- Gomez, S. & Horobin, K.D. Developing University-Head Start Partnerships: A Success Story in Collaboration. (Fall, 2000). Bridges, statewide publication of the California Head Start-State Collaboration Office, CA Dept. of Education, 5(1).
- Horobin, K.D. & Gomez, S. (1999). America Reads in Head Start classrooms: Partners in literacy. NHSA Dialog, 3, 128-152.
- Radencich, M.C., Thompson, T., Anderson, N.A., Oropallo, K., Fleege, P., Harrison, M., Hanley, P. & Gomez, S. (1998). The culture of cohorts: Preservice teacher education teams at a southeastern university in the United States. Journal of Education for Teaching, 24, 109-127.
As a past undergraduate coordinator and chair, I do a lot of student advising and in particular for transfer students coming into the COE local ECE programs.
Last updated: 07 December 2015
Update Your Profile Link