Frances Galano Memorial Teaching Scholarship
About the Sponsor
The Frances Galano Memorial Teaching Scholarship Endowment was established in honor of Leona Cotsakos’ beloved mother, Frances Galano. Frances Galano worked all of her life in the textile factories as a seamstress in Paterson, New Jersey. A widow for many years, she made many personal sacrifices during very difficult times to ensure that her only daughter realized her dreams to become an elementary school teacher. To quote, John, husband of Leona, “Frances Galano realized Leona’s potential of becoming a teacher and nourished it!” This personal sacrifice became a tremendous source of strength and comfort to her until her passing. It is hoped that this scholarship will touch the lives of many other talented students to realize their dreams of becoming a teacher and allow Frances Galano’s spirit of giving to continue through the years.
- Minimum 3.0 overall GPA
- Limited to students accepted or enrolled in any College of Education credential program
- May be enrolled full or part time
- Must be enrolled at time of award
- Submit a personal statement (typed, two-pages, double- spaced) to include: a. Reasons for pursuing teaching b. Methods of financing your education and how you would use scholarship funds c. Future career objectives.
- Submit a list of experiences related to working with children or youth beginning with the most recent. List dates, settings, student populations (age/grade level and diversity level), responsibilities, and supervision.
- Two letters of recommendation are required. Letters must be on letterhead and no older than one year from date of scholarship application submission, and should be relevant to your educational endeavors (please scan letters together in one document, as the program only allows you to download one document).